Lowering Phosphate?

azguy

After testing my water today, I noticed I have an unusuallly high phosphate level. It's .5. everything else is ok.
What can cause this? is it harmfull? how can I lower it?
Thanks!

ohioreef

Phosphates will rise over time from decaying detritus, food, etc. It can also be introduced with your water, especially if you are not using RO/DI.
I have installed a phosphate reactor on my tank to combat that problem. I was, actually still am, battling a hair algae problem. While the HA is still there, it does seem to have slowed its growth a little since I installed the reactor.

azguy

Thanks for the response. I do have a ro/di unit, and just tested the water directly from it. it tested 0. So, I guess something is going on IN the tank.

ohioreef

Glad your RO is testing 0. I don't have a unit yet and I tested my RO from my LFS and it had about .1 in it so I know where some of mine is coming from.

cholland

Do you have a refugium? The macros will help with the phosphates too. And is you still have trouble, I would run a little bit of phosban to help.
HTH

gregm779

I haven't had that problem in my new tank so if you have I sump I have no experience but in my 55 I stuck some phosphate remover filter pads in my emperor 400s and it worked really well. High Phosphates make algae grow like crazy especially hair algae.