LR brown spots

morourke

My tank has been cycling for about 2 weeks now and I'm noticing these dark brown spots all over my rock that were not there when I got the rock. The rock was from swf.com. Is the brown stuff my algae dying?

brians

It is most likely diatoms. This brown algae is a normal part of a cycling tank. You will probably notice it on your sand and glass as well. After the tank has cycled you can put in a clean up crew consisting of various snails, hermits, etc. and they will clean everything up for you.

brians

Oh, were you referring to the big maroon spot in the middle of the first pic? If so, that is not diatoms and probably what spmnarciso posted.
Diatoms are more of a brown film.

morourke

I'm circled the stuff I'm talking about. I'm not sure if it's the same color. It looks more brown to me.

spmnarciso

To mention it, I got some of that same thing with a piece of LR. A couple of dead plant were sticking out of it. Until my hairy-red hermits got ahold of it. They ate the whole plant and left this brown thing. I think it's just the root.

stuckinfla

I to have just purchased 3 new pieces of rock, and the same thing. I went back to where I bought it, and they didnt know what it was either. (Was not there when I bought it.) Anyway, its only on those three new ones.......hundreds of them. I too am clueless.:notsure: