LR im new in reef discussion

fshhub

just test and change the water as needed, when your ammonia and trates reach and remain at zero for a week or so(after they peak, whihc can happen very fast, evn overnite, if there is little die off), you can start adding it to the tank
HTH

W

whipitboy

so ill seelike slime on the rock? a bad smell? and when its "cured" it will be ....?

W

whipitboy

k got it now test till levels r down. guess i could change 100% water every 3-4 days till levels r acceptable think im getting it

W

whipitboy

ok then after a few weeks it will be ok to add 20-30 pounds good. hopefully i can ask swf to give me huge hunks of rock!

k.lee

Originally posted by whipitboy:
<strong>ok then after a few weeks it will be ok to add 20-30 pounds good. hopefully i can ask swf to give me huge hunks of rock!</strong><hr></blockquote>
What's in the tank now, and how much "recycled rock and it's condition now will affect your water quality, IMO. I wouldn't throw it out, for sure, depending on what these things are, you shopuld buy your new supplemental rock, cured, or not. Cured rock is probably safer.
Lee

fshhub

cannot hurt to ask, what can they say?
a 25 lb piece is BIG
oh yeah, i saw your pics, you stil got the angel??, beautie

mac

As a side point to this discussion; I have had 2 deliveries of lr from SWF recently. Even with the 2 day shipping, both deliveries had no detectable die-off.

W

whipitboy

5 firefish n some inverts in tank now (snails hermits crabs) tank is young . only have one piece of the old rock in tank cuz i love it bought it 4 years ago tonga branch like a 200$ piece originally.i want lots of alive rock in my tank now. fshhub talked me into few days ago.i want 25-30 pound pieces no more this 2-3 pound pieces. big rock is awesome. tank hasnt cycled yet so this may be a big help IMO yours?

W

whipitboy

no die off?? great where do you live?
no angel got a sore on face terry b n I talked but it was too late.
also i never heard of the dead shrimp cycle i only known fish to cycle.my fault .will be a future addition .beautiful juvenile fish.

fshhub

yep, the lr can help, and you are right to do it this way, you would probably end up changing later nehow, most of us make the swap to reeef eventually
and your gobies and inverts, would probably take 4ever to cycle with, they ad very little to your load

k.lee

Your firefish could likely die adding uncured live rock. In a 150, I'd add 10lb max uncured rock at a time. 20-30 lbs opf cured rock would probably be safe assuming you have an established wet/dry, and/or an eficient protein skimmer for your setup in a 150.
IMO
Lee

W

whipitboy

protein skimmer is off . nothing is established in my tank yet . i will definetly " cure" it in a trash can. sounds fairly simple. and at the size i want it should only b 4-5 pieces

fshhub

well, that shoots that idea, because you do not want to run the protein skimmer b4 the cycle is complete, and wet dry's are not all everybody always thought in the past, especiallly if you are going reef, you would be better off with out the wet dry
just cure the rock b4 adding it to the tank, to be safe, it will not hurt anything at all to do it this way

fshhub

oh, i did not mention it b4, when curing(i assume you know this, but) make sure to use sw for curing and water changes

k.lee

That sounds good whipitboy. But, I go a bit faster than that. Make the right decisions. Quality rock can be added within reason immediately with no drawbacks. Ie. 5-10% biomass should cause no spikes or problems imo. 5% BIOMASS OF uncured is risky but safe IMO.
I probably wouldn't try the above in an established reef with thousands of dollars in inverts tho.

k.lee

Originally posted by fshhub:
<strong>well, that shoots that idea, because you do not want to run the protein skimmer b4 the cycle is complete, and wet dry's are not all everybody always thought in the past, especiallly if you are going reef, you would be better off with out the wet dry
just cure the rock b4 adding it to the tank, to be safe, it will not hurt anything at all to do it this way</strong><hr></blockquote>
Heh, th cans of worms. :p wet/dry or no? The can has sprung. :D
BBL, I'm off to buy some corals. :D (my nitrites are high) :p

W

whipitboy

yes curing will b good because i'll need to pick up some chemicals .somebody posted some here so i'll go with them . i have a spare power head and maybe a heater .and my skimmer needs a valve (all these things r in storage right in the garage! sucks)but i'll get someone to find em.i hear the conscientious marine aquarist is a great book. 35$ a good deal on it?