LR just arrived!!!

denny80688

Wahoo its plopped in the tank now... do I need to do anythign special? I aimed a power head across the fromt of the rocks... 45lb looks like nothing in a 125 :( Need some base rock I guess to fill in the gaps and make some caves and such. The other thing is it just looks like rock nothing special also smells kinda funky how do you knwo if its still alive.. BTW It was purchased from our host here fiji premium

montidanae

:scared:
take it out now, does your fish in your tank?? when you order rocks, stuff dies, it needs to cure or it will start another cycle in your tank, potentialy killing your fish/corals

denny80688

:eek: you scared me man! The tank has only been up for like 6 days. nothing in it yet. It is supposedly cured already other then the shipping that may have killed some off. Still waiting for the tank to cycle so I can add my 2 clowns that are in the QT tank after being moved from my old 55gal

bigarn

The readings from your other post mean nothing if you just added the LR. The cycle hasn't really started yet. If you plan on getting more LR I'd get it now (alot more for that size tank) If you add more later your going to kick off another cycle. Do you have LS in there? :D

denny80688

yeah 20 lb of live sand. also I used 40-45 gal from my old 55gal fish only setup. So I was hoping that woudl reduce cycle time. I was planning on another 10lb of live rock or so but the budget wont allow for much more.. this is going ot be FOWLR so I figure that will be enough LR.

jacknjill

you could still use some more live rock. and when you said the tank has only been set up for 6 days, did you mean finished cycling for 6 days or you JUST started it and it has been 6 days?
:notsure:

magooo2

So what does one need to do if they purchase live rock from our hosts of this sight??? What is the proper method of getting the extra live rock into an already existing tank??:help:

reefraff

Be patient, Check amonia and nitrite levels every couple of days. Once they peak and start dropping (first amonia, then trites) you can start THINKING about adding fish. That funky smell is dead stuff on your rock. Even "pre cured" rock will have some die off from shipping unless it comes in a bucket of water. Make sure your nitrite have peaked and then dropped back down to a safe range before throwing your critters in.

montidanae

Originally posted by Magooo2
So what does one need to do if they purchase live rock from our hosts of this sight??? What is the proper method of getting the extra live rock into an already existing tank??:help:

set up a small tank or a few new fresh buckets, drill a large hole in each bucket, then conect the buckets with large PVC pipes(this is if you dont have enough room in one bucket for all the rock your getting) then add one or 2 powerheads for water circulation (depending on how many buckets you have) and a skimme rot help witht he curring) its alot of work for an established tank, you could buy base rock, from a seller on ---- named "Hirocks" he sells base rock from hawaii, alot of people on this site like him, or you could just but some cured rock from your LFS
not to change subject, but where in wiscosin are you from also?

magooo2

I have close to 40 # in the tank currently but wanted to add more. I can see i am stuck purchasing it from the LFS. It seems like alot of hassle to 'cure it' @ home. It was just a matter of cost.
I live just west of Waukesha, Wi :cheer:

birdy

Magoo- to cure LR at home all you "have" to have is a rubbermaid trashcan (new) and a couple of powerheads and a heater. A skimmer is nice but not a must have. You will need to do waterchanges once or twice a week, the rock is pre-cured, and the recuring should not take that long (a couple weeks or so). Once the levels are good in the curing bucket you can start adding the rock, I would still only add a few pieces at a time though.
If you are curing uncured rock then that is a much bigger task.

magooo2

I guess I wasnt thinking about it that way. Storing it in a large rubbermaid container for a few weeks to get the levels right wouldnt be so bad.
Do they need light on them as well???

montidanae

You will need to do waterchanges once or twice a week
yeah thats good too because you dont need to waste salt, you can start the cure with waterchange water from your main tank, and change the cure water with the main tank water changed water, lol
Lights are good to keep the Coralin alive and anyother small corals or inverts that hitch a ride, regualt NO lights would work, without a skimmer though it would get pretty smelly, so it woudl be best in the basement.
are you a Member of the Wisconsin Reef Society?

magooo2

No I am not...not even sure what the org is...(tho the title does tell me). Just pleasantly getting along with a small tank and learning as I go.