LR or Sump

algaeeater

Hello
Newbie here.
I really like reading this forum and I am learning alot. Maybe you guys can help me with a few questions. First my setup: 7 mths old
55 gal, aragonite sand with light layer of live sand, 20LBS of LR, BakPak skimmer width bio media, RO/DI water, 2 powerheads at each end of tank, Aquaclear 300 for mech filtration, heater. Icecap440 for 2 90 VHO and 2 30 HO
Salinity 1.25, Ammonia 0, PH 8.0 20% water change/mth, 5 gals weekly.
2 common clowns, a yellow tang, assorted hermits and snails, peppermint shrimp for aptasia control and black-banded starfish and 2 emerald crabs.
First I want to build up my LR to 50-60 LBS, after I do that can I throw out the bio media in the Bakpak?
Is my Bakpak big enough for my tank? Would it help to get a second one?
After I have the proper amount of LR, do I still need a sump? Are more people going the sumpless route?
Do I have enough lighting for SPS? Right down at 4/gal
I haven't had any great die offs thank goodness. But something has been eating my hermits. Maybe a Mantis(?) since I heard some clicking.
Awhile backI did find a new sand shifting star completely dismembered. All of its limbs neatly severed. Monster?
Thanks for looking at this. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.
I am going to dump the Aquaclear because it just grows algae ( currently I have a hair algae problem). I was using it for floss and carbon flitration.
Do you guys still use carbon to clean up your water.

You certainly do not have to have a sump. It does help though. Any added water volume helps to keep water quality. Hair algae is usually a sign of high nitrates. I had a problem with this too, a while back. I had to scrub my live rock, and strive to keep my nitrates down (darn crushed coral). Finally under control now.
Can't help on the sps corals. I only have LPS.
Good luck!!

ocellaris_keeper

I'm not a firm believer in 1 pound per gallon of live rock - in fact it makes the tank look like your cultivating rocks. A better idea is a 3.5" sand bed seeded with SWF livwe sand. this has more biofiltration capabilities than the LR (not opinion, a proven fact by Aquarist Magazine).
Place the amount of LR that you want that will feed your fish and help you build a nice scene. I don't have any filtration right now (only LR/LS and a few power heads) using the berlin method, so I'd say there's no need for the sump - I do plan on getting one simply so I can cultivate animals in a portion of it while it filters as well.

S

sinner's girl

can't help on much, you said you had a few dead hermits, do you have extra shells? they may be killing each other