LR Question (hope this doesn't sound too stupid...)

lcaldwell85

Hey guys, I've heard a lot of mixed things when it comes to live rock, base rock, etc... So I'm still pretty confused. Thus far I've been trying to stick to a healthy amount of live rock v/s base rock. Today a friend of my husband's provided him with some dried out LR, that hasn't been in an aquarium over a year. Is this okay to put in my tank? Will it "Cure" and start to stink, or is it every bit as dead as the base rock and will be fine to place in with no problems? (Still confused on the curing process) Thanks in advance for any help!

spanko

How old is the tank. Yes this new rock will have to cure. Yes it will most stink. If you are just starting a tank it would be okay to cure it in the tank. If not I would cure this rock in a separate container.

lcaldwell85

My tank is around six months old... I really don't want to put the LR in my tank if it has to cure, as I have fish and things in it. Plus my tank is my focal point in my dining room, so I -really- don't want a stinky mess in there. I think I'll just give the LR back. Can someone explain curing to me please? Like, how come base rock doesn't cure? And why will the year old live dried rock cure once placed back into the water? Why wouldn't it act as base rock and not do anything?

spanko

The curing process in regards to dried out rock that has been in a tank before is a process in which the die-off is allowed to "rot", create ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. This process also facilitates the growth of the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria that deal with these chemicals. If you were to put this rock into a tank without curing it there would be the die-off and the spikes in the chemicals which are harmful to the life in the tank.
Base rock that does not have this die-off while still needing to allow the bacteria populations to grow will not, if it is truly base rock and not just dried rock, will not have this reaction occurring. Base rock can "cure" in an established tank since the bacteria colony is just in essence migrating to populate it.

beaslbob

the old rock will eventually become live rock. Afterall Live rock is just rock that has been kept in a marine environment.
that said to me if you balance out the tank with macro algaes like chaetomorphia (usually in a refugium), The rock you use is not relevant. the macros will provide the same benefits and more.
my .02

lcaldwell85

Thanks for the info guys! I decided not to use the rock at this point, perhaps when I have a bit more time on my hands I can cure it myself in a container ( I know it doesn't require a lot of time, just a few water changes, but right now with home remodeling going on seconds are precious, I already spend enough time indulging in my hobby as it is), but it's not going into the tank as is... So in the closet it goes until then....