lr smells foul changing colors help please

shifty

i just started my cycle with lr and crushed coral the saltwater and cc i started friday my lr i got yesterday they were air shiped to me it took 2 day's to get them so there was a die off period while being sent so that i knew the only thing is i realy wasn't sure what good or bad lr looked like i don't know anyone who has a saltwater tank and the only thing i had to go on was pic's but that doesn't realy help much when the lr got here they had a little oder on them not sure if that means anything they came in a foam then boxed with wet newspaper one of the boxes had some bugs wasn't sure if that was normal then i checked this morning and the rocks had some white stuff not sure but i thing that is part of the cureing procedure then the tank had a foul order in it i went and bought another power head today to give it a better flow so there is no still parts in the tank i tested the water and this is what i got
salinity- 1.023
p.h- 8.0
ammonia- 1.
nitrie- 100
nitrate- 1.0
the only thing i see that was a concern was the ammonia it should be no more than .1but i don't know if adding the lr to my cycle gave me a spike should i be concerned about any of this as you can see i said not sure quite a few times i mean it not realy sure that's why the board is here it hasn't faild me yet i should say all the members have not faid me thats why i always rely on you thank's for any advice realy needed

krowleey

sounds normal to me, mine was wrapped in newspaper as well and had some bugs in it, they went swimming =) mine didnt smell to foul but your tank sounds like it is cycling great....good luck with it i love mine

krowleey

its the die off from the LR, whats why you never add rock like that to a established tank, but if your cycling it then its perfect. if your water is turning yellow run your skimmer and you can even do some small water changes. sounds like you are doing everything right just wait it out keep testing and run your protien skimmer, and do smal water changes if its smelling too bad.

shifty

do i run the pro.skimmer all the time or just for a little while my salinity is pretty good right know should i do water with salt or just ro/di just asking this is my first time doing just about anything thats why i have so many ? lfs act like they don't have time to listen thats why i ask the board everyone here is great thanks

krowleey

run the skimmer 24/7 mix your salt with ro/di water and top off with ro/di water and sit back and let the tank do its thing...be patient dont be in ahurry to add animals, wait a month or so let the tank cycle completly and add animals slowly and enjoy the hobby...;)

shifty

some people say if you run the skimmer it defeats the purpose of the bacteria growth or somthing like that i just took there word for it i sure didn't know thank for helping

krowleey

i asked the same question and more ppl said run the skimmer, and i have researched other places and they all say run the skimmer for cycling your tank with LR period....so majority rules IMO GL

shifty

i'll give it a shot trust me it's hard spending 359$ on a skimmer and keeping it of i want it to earn its money so theres no problem with me turning it on you knw. what do you think of buying that other powerhead to give it better flow was that good or when i get fish do you think there going to have problems swiming by them

broomer5

Hey shifty
Sounds perfectly normal to me too.
As you probably know already, when we set up a new saltwater tank using new saltwater and substrate ..... we have to allow some time to establish bacteria colonies before we can add any fish or other animals.
The live rock has some of those needed bacteria, and could possibly have other living creatures on it ( in it ) as well.
When live rock is shipped, some of the bacteria and creatures/plants die. Not all of them .. but some of them.
Shipped live rock almost always has an odor.
Depending on the length of time it was out of the water, how it was packaged, the surrounding temperature and whether the live rock was cured already, or uncured.
If uncured ... the amount of die off can be substantial and the live rock may stink pretty bad.
If cured ..... then the die off is often quite less, the rock may still have an odor, and often is described as smelling like the ocean.
Stink is a relative term ;)
Adding the live rock to the tank initiates the nitrogen cycle.
It jump starts the entire process.
A text book scenerio would be for the ammonia to shoot up.
When this happens - bacteria begin to feed off of this ammonia.
These bacteria convert the ammonia to nitrite.
Naturally then the nitrite shoots up.
Another group of bacteria will begin to pop up, and start feeding off of this nitrite.
The first group is still processing the ammonia.
The second group is processing the nitrite.
Eventually - after a length of time, much of the ammonia has been converted to nitrite and the ammonia level begins to drop.
Eventually - after a length of time, much of the nitrite has been converted to nitrate, and the nitrite level begins to drop as well.
Eventually - after a length of time, both ammonia and nitrite levels will drop to ZERO.
Then you're left with "some" level of nitrate.
This level of nitrate can be different for each of our tanks.
When ammonia and nitrite are ZERO - you can be sure that there are sufficient colonies of bacteria now in the filtration, crushed coral substrate and live rock - to handle "some" additional ammonia/nitrite.
This is cycling the tank.
These bacteria colonies are still young.
Their numbers have increased dramatically compared to when you first filled up the tank and added the rock, but they are still limited to their numbers until the tank matures.
Adding a single fish after cycling is often recommended - to slowly allow the bacteria populations to continue to reproduce.
Going too fast and adding too many fish at once can create too much ammonia for the new bacteria colonies to handle - and you would see this with your test kit.
Unfortunately - some folks will see the result of this excess ammonia in fish/invert deaths.
Going very slow and adding fish one at a time over the next few months will insure better results and reduce the risk of fish deaths.
I've never run the protein skimmer until after my tanks complete the initial cycle - and I've performed my first series of water changes.
But I have always used cured live rock, or semi-cure it first in a separate tub before adding it to the tank.
If I used uncured live rock, that had a lot of dead sponge material or macro algae - I would probably run the skimmer during the initial cycle. You can pick off some of this dead decaying stuff if you see a lot just sort of hanging there.
The white stuff you see could be a couple of things.
It could be coralline algae, which is normally a pink/purple color - turning white. If it's smooth and covering the rock and doesn't fall off - it may be dead coralline.
If it's white, sort of a hazy loose material, flakes off easily - it could be dead sponges or some other plant life that is dead and decaying. I heard of some people getting some type of "fungus" ( for lack of a better word ) that grows over curing rock.
I've never had this so I don't know for sure.
A pic would be helpful.
I don't run the lights for more than a couple hours a day during a tank cycle either. Some light - but not 8-10 hours.
Good water circulation with powerheads is always a good thing.
Before - during - and after the tank cycles.

krowleey

do not run your skimmer until the cycle is completely over
i wasnt running mine untill i kept seeing ppl say if curing LR in your tank run it for the o2 more than anything. If you run the skimmer your tank will still cycle right?

shifty

i don't know how to post pic's but i'll try to find out hang on keep checking in ill find out thanks

krowleey

running a skimmer during the cycle will just prolong the duration of the cycle
i understand what your saying, but have been told by many ppl and companies that is not correct, and you should run your skimer when cycling with LR.