LR to protect my fish?

lionfish28

I WILL be getting a skimmer,i think in august:notsure: But mean while i have 15pounds of live rock and my V.lion is getting big, should i get more live rock to protect some of my fish from him?And i herd that i cant get to much LR because then my lion will not have the swimming room.
thanks for the help.

sammyg

I've never kept a lion, but my understanding is that regardless of what you do, your fish will have no room to swim shortly because they grow too large for a 55 gallon. But I could be wrong about that.
You definitely should get more live rock no matter what you do, as it aids in filtration, aethetics, and comfortable housing for most fish.
Hope that helps and other more knowledeable people correct my mistakes.
Sam

lionfish28

I dont think that about my striped puffer.I had him for 3months and has not grown a inch!I feed him properly.

sammyg

Well, I was really just referring to your Lion, but again, I know next to nothing about them and hopefully others will chime in. All I can say is that 15 lbs of LR in a 55 gallon seems inadequate. The group consensus is usually a minimum of 1 pound/gallon, so you should probably consider an additional 40-some pounds. At a minimum, you could consider a mix of live and base rock to provide enough places for fish to hide and hang out. I think they'd appreciate it.

lionfish28

yup i think i will get more LR tommarow!And you are right about the lion question,i am going to upgrade but i think my lion will get to big before i upgrade.

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by lionfish28
yup i think i will get more LR tommarow!And you are right about the lion question,i am going to upgrade but i think my lion will get to big before i upgrade.

not to make an example, but you really need to start reaserching properly, the lion and the puffer will get to big for a 55 gal, so unless you plan on getting at least a 150 in the NEER futture id return thoes fish for something more compatable.. the size of your tank WILL NOT stunt the growth, instead it is going to fowl your water and create a huge problem.... your first thing you need to buy is a skimmer, i dont know how many times this needs to be said to you. keep the minimal amount of rock, do water changes every week and feed once every 3 days.. august.... you need a skimmer now... i remeber you posted how you were going to be getting a bigger tank.. what happened to that.... if it has fallen through get your self some smaller fish and return the ones you have....it might not be what you want to do, but even you said the lion was getting to big... THINK, next time before you purchase.. i am sorry if this seems negative, it isnt meant to be. im just thinking about the tanks inhabitants... since that is what YOU should be doing.