Lr???

fireemt_us

I am getting ready to start stocking my new tank and i just cant seem to decide if i should go with cured or uncured LR. I dont mind the extra work of the curing process, or the extra time it takes either. I just want to get it right the first time. Im looking at buying about 300lbs. I planned to cure the rock right in the tank.
Any thoughts, comments, or concerns would be greatly
appreciated.
The tank is a 250 gallon soon to be reef.

ejensen

where are you going to get the cured rock? If you get it from a LFS then that would cost alot. Cured rock should cost ever more.

fireemt_us

well, saving money is a huge plus but its not important. SWF.com sells pre-cured LR for about $400 for 50lbs. Thats kinda high but i have seen uncured figi LR for as low as $2.50 per LB. That is alot cheaper and more my idea. But I'll gladly spend the extra money to save headache down the road.

ejensen

I think you will have some die off when they ship it. So unless you take it from there tank and put it in your tank the same day the rocks will not be in the "cured" state. I would just get the precured rock that they spray to get rid of pest. Then you can cycle your tank with it. I can be wrong. Thats just what I think. shipping is what going to cost alot. Maybe you should go to you LFS and get a good deal for getting so much. But if they hand pick these rock at swf.com then the rock selection should be alot better. I've seen the kind at my LFS and It was very dry and not the best looking rock.

d-money

Just Cure it and avoid any risk what soever. Can u imagine setting everything up and then a few months later hear clicking noises at night?"mantis", Be on the safe side and make sure everything is cured. I cured all my LR before i put it in my system and i still got a hitch hiker. :mad: