LS and Filter

frenchman

I read often that live sand but much better than CC. I tend to believe that as well but someone in the hobby for many years told me that LS will eventually mess up with the filter especially by bio-wheel. What do you think? :confused:

mlm

The main purpose of the DSB is to help convert nitrate to Nitrogen. If anything the BIOWHEEL could lead to a build up of Nitrates if not properly cleaned.

frenchman

Yes, they said that the sand will gradually get everywhere in the wheels and its mechanism and gradually block them and make them unusuable. Ever heard of that? :confused:

nosmada

i suppose after a very long peroid of time you could p/u sand but if you have the tube far enough off the DSB you wouldnt p/u very much sand unless you stir it up. i would probably dump the biowheel and go with a skimmer anyways for the reasons that mlm has already mentioned.
hth
chris

bbreaux1

im going with a emporer400 powerfilter w/biowheel and a prizm skimmer and a dsb i dont think sand would be a problem if you have mechanical filtration before the bio wheels but only time will tell i guess

mlm

Just be sure to keep your mechanical filters clean or they will build up nitrates.

peasly1

I 've been reading that you dont need bio-wheels if you have enough lr,ls,surface water movement and good skimmer