Lumatek 250W vs CoralVue LuXcore 250W Ballast

I did a search, but nothing came up, well nothing after 07'. I want to replace my old magnetic ballasts and go electronic. I was going to get the newest Lumatek 250W one (does 150w, 175w, & 250w), but they are back-ordered about 2 weeks. My other option is the new CoralVue LuXcore Ballast (does 150w, 175w, 250w, and 250w super lumens - whatever that is). They are close enough in price that it does not matter, and the CoralVue are in stock. The Lumatek ones have great reviews, but nothing on the new Coralvue that I can really find. Curious if anyone had any feed back on either of these units. I will be running them with a 250w mogul base bulbs at 14k in a Coralife Aqualight Elite 48" fixture. Thanks!

I just spoke to a certain retailer who advised me that my best bet would be to go with the Lumatek ballasts. He said they are basically identical and I could not go wrong with either...however...the Lumatek ballast comes with a power cord to run up to the light, which the CoralVue does not. This is not a problem for someone who has a plug end that matches, but mind does not so I have to re-wire the light and this way I don't have to purchase anything extra. Now....that said....how difficult is it to re-wire these things for the new electronic ballasts? I have had my light fully apart to install moonlights without a problem, but I never really payed attention to the MH wiring when I was in there. I deal with a lot of 12v wiring, and minimal 110v (replacing sockets & switches basically). He mentioned by-passing all 'starters' and running the new wires directly to the bulbs, sound about right? I really would like to make this upgrade, just don't want to make sure it is not going to be a nightmare and if the $270 is not better invested into an LED fixture. Thanks!

Only 5 views so far and not a single response by someone who has done this, even to another fixture?! What happened to this forum?! I have not been here in a while, looks like traffic has really slowed :(

sweatervest13

Well, I have never switched out ballasts before. But you asked if it would be better invested in LED's.
You may be right in thinking that it is a choice. If you are looking at spending almost $300.00 on the ballast (is this for just one 250w bulb?? or does this fixture have multiple MH's??) and then upwards of $75.00 to replace the bulb. I would defiantly look into LED's. You are already at half the price of the high end LED fixtures. The AI Sol fixtures should be going down in price too. What size tank is this for??
Yup, the forums have slowed. How often do you come by?? We are always looking for more regulars to join in helping out the Noob's.. You should stick around for a while.

Thanks for the response. The cost includes 2 ballasts (for the 2 MH's) plus the wiring kit needed to switch it over. The bulbs were recently replaced so they are fine for now, but yes, it is a cost not associated with the LED's every year. The tank is a 110g XHI (48" x 18" x 30"). I need something with decent power to push down the 30"'s. Since we had the little one I am not around much, but I did notice the Forum tab that was on the top is no longer there, just a small link on the bottom that is missed by most people (especially the new ones I'm sure). Before that I was around a lot though. I will look into that fixture you mentioned. Thanks.