Lunare Wrasse questions

ynotme4886

It list the lunare wrasse as coral safe...but not reef safe.
Does anyone have any experience with these fish being in a reef and if they are going to harass anything then what will it be?
Also what are some good potential tank mates for this type of fish. Mine seems to be very bold and outgoing an I have already had to move what was left of my chromis out of my 58 gallon frag tank because of this guy.
I thought that maybe my overflow had gotten one of my small chromis (have found them in the corner overflow before) till I found the wrasse snacking on what was left of him.
So his current tank mate is a coral beauty who is a little bit smaller than him but does not seem fazed by him in the least. Although if he bothers the coral beauty then we are going to have a few issues. I can move the coral beauty if need be but am afraid he might bother my clam in the other tank.
So any info or experiences you can share about this fish would be appreciated.
Thanks and happy holidays

kjr_trig

Coral safe sure.....Small or slow moving fish, or for that matter any fish beware.....This is one of the bruisers of this hobby, fast and a bad attitude to match. They belong in big tanks (at least 125 gallons IMO) and with tank mates that are very capable of defending themselves, ie Triggers, big Angels, Puffers and big Tangs...........They don't call them the Lunatic Wrasse for no reason....Again, it's "coral safe", but not "community fish safe".
Oh and yes I had one in FO system with other nasty fish for about 4 years.

sean48183

I have a 7" one that I have raised up since it was about 2". Awsome fish and pretty laid back as far as fish that are already in the tank. New additions are rough but I keep him with percula clowns, chromis, 2 dwarf angels, some damsels, big tangs and he does not bother them. He did kill a 8" emperor angel I added and that was bad because I couldn't catch him to get him out. As far as corals just epoxy them down because he will turn over any frag or rock that he is capable of turning over in his never ending search for food. Crabs and shrimp are goners. Either he or my snowflake took out my 4" hermit which I had for about 2 years.

jbird0420

+1 Couldn't of said it better myself!!
Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2887331
Coral safe sure.....Small or slow moving fish, or for that matter any fish beware.....This is one of the bruisers of this hobby, fast and a bad attitude to match. They belong in big tanks (at least 125 gallons IMO) and with tank mates that are very capable of defending themselves, ie Triggers, big Angels, Puffers and big Tangs...........They don't call them the Lunatic Wrasse for no reason....Again, it's "coral safe", but not "community fish safe".
Oh and yes I had one in FO system with other nasty fish for about 4 years.

ophiura

I also agree 100%. Personally I would probably not keep them in a reef tank because it would be a pain in the rear to remove, which you would probably do eventually. Also any of the other things commonly in a reef - snails, crabs, hermits, seastars, brittlestars, shrimp, etc - are fair game and surely to be eaten over time.
This fish is easily able to keep up with the big boys in the hobby. There was one I cared for in about a 3500 gallon tank that would methodically eat the eyes out of any yellow tang put in the tank with it. IMO, they do need BIG tanks.
IMO, a beatiful fish but not worth the effort except in a FOWLR

ynotme4886

I got him from a friend of mine who was redoing his tank. He had him in his sump and I felt bad for the fish.He is easily going to outgrow what I have in the house.
Guess after the holiday he will be looking for a new fish only tank to roam in.
I really don't want him destroying my reef....nice fish but not worth the headache I'm sure.
Thanks everyone for the info

sean48183

Probably a wise descision but could be a reason to start up that big ole predator tank you've been thinking about.

jp30338

I had a beautiful one about 6-7 inches in my 125 for about 2 weeks before having to take back to my lfs, it was causing just to much havoc.. The wrasse after 2 weeks was chasing my snapper all over the tank and biting it, and then turned on the puffer.