macro algae lighting debate?

keebler

Just curious about something. When it comes to the lighting for your macro algae, do you leave the light on for it 24/7, do you leave it on for the time that the tank light is on, do you leave it on for the time the tank light is off, do you leave it on for 12 hours each night, or the entire night?

jerryatrick

Personally I keep mine on while my DT lights are on. I have read numorous articles that it is best to have the refuge light on when the DT light is off.
24 hours? I believe that every saltwater species should have a night and day experience.

keebler

Originally Posted by JerryAtrick
http:///forum/post/2716766
Personally I keep mine on while my DT lights are on. I have read numorous articles that it is best to have the refuge light on when the DT light is off.
24 hours? I believe that every saltwater species should have a night and day experience.
Yeah, I have heard of people doing this, but it seems a little excessive, I mean even photosynthesis needs a break. So how long is your DT light on?

cranberry

We have one sump where we just leave it on. All the caulerpas and some cheato are down there. The lights to the display tank part don't come on.... it just has cycled LR.

spiderwoman

Light schedule on 75:
- actinics 2h
- 8h MH 2x150W
- 2h actinics
- 12h lunars
Light schedule in 150:
- 2h LED (actinics will replace this light next week)
- 8h MH 2x400W
- 2h LED
- no lunars yet
In a nutshell both tanks run 12 total actinics and/or daylight so the refugium runs 12 hours when other lights are off. The refugium in 150 will go on timer because it too has blue actinics, bright day lights and lunars.

aquaguy24

heres my lighting schedule..
8hrs of atinics
6hrs of MH
16hrs of LED(moonlights)
8hrs of fuge lights when DT lights are off...

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2716778
Yeah, I have heard of people doing this, but it seems a little excessive, I mean even photosynthesis needs a break. So how long is your DT light on?
8 hours 10,000K
10 hours Actinic
I have a "in tank refuge" so I can't run my lights on an opposite schedule.

reefkprz

I run all my sumps 24/7, I have heard people say that it slows the growth of your macros, nope it doesnt.
the best reason to consider opposing light scedual is it helps stabilize your PH. when all your corals and algaes in your DT stop photosynthesize, they begin to release carbon dioxide dropping your PH, if your sump comes on and starts photosynthesizing it consumes carbon dioxide, helping keep your PH stable.
but honestly I prefer to let my macros grow non stop I havent noticed a signifigant PH drop from day to night running my sump 24/7, but I do run a tank at 0 nitrates (or below testable amounts) so I say let them chow nitrogen non stop. there really isnt a "wrong" way to run your lighting schedual. just factors to consider, like light heat if your sump lights are on while your DT is on you are adding more heat, if they are off during the day its easier to keep your tank cool during the hot months, and so on.

spiderwoman

I may consider starting to run the refugium light 24/7 once our chiller is installed. Right now if I have the lights on down there, the temp gets too high in the DT.

flricordia

I have always run mine 24/7 with 50/50 PC. Have to cull it out more often, but it helps keep the ph more stable 24hrs and helps keep the tank clean from undesirable diatoms and unwanted algaes. I don't think I have seen diatoms in so long I have almost forgotten about them.
I also use the submersible LED light tubes. I bury them within the chaeto and leave them on all the time also. This keeps me from having to turn the algae over so the bottom gets light too. They run really cool.

N

nereef

another factor for running 24/7 light on caulerpa is that it disrupts its life cycle, keeping it from going sexual. doesn't matter with chaeto, since it's multicellular.

mr_x

i have to run my refugium lighting the same as my display tanks, due to the position of the sump. if i had a choice, i'd run it opposite of my DT.