Macro in a filter?

itom37

So I had this idea: I don't have a sump, so I figured a way to get water flowing through some chaeto would be to replace filter cartridges in a simple HOB mechanical filter with chaeto. Has anyone tried this? I figure it's gonna need light, so I took of the top and put a 15 watt fluorescent light over it. I'm afraid it might backfire, kill the algae and release waste into the tank.

blazehok68

I Have Actually Seen This Done Before On Other Reef Boards With Nano Tanks. Remove All Of The Media Cartridges, Put A Little Bit Of Sand In The Bottom, Some Macro In On Top, Then Take Some Kind Of Screening, Or Gutter Guard To Prevent The Macro From Spilling Back Into The Tank. Put A Light On Top, And Set The Filter On Its Slowest Setting And Bam! Instant Mini Fuge. Pretty Simple Set Up. I Wouldnt Put It On Anything Bigger Than A 20 Gallon Though.

itom37

Why not on a larger tank. The primary function isn't to be a fuge, more to allow the chaeto to filter the water a bit and take care of some nitrates.

blazehok68

IMO this wont work on a larger tank b/c the quantity of macro wont be enough. sure it will work and filter some of the trates, but i dont think it will filter it as much as you would like. you can try it, it couldnt hurt, and if you have the extra hob filter it wont cost you anything either.