Macroalgae Under Rock

jschultz

Sadly, we are going to be taking down our salt water tank. Recent events have caused us to have to tear it down. We have secured a place for the livestock to go, but when we were moving some rock around trying to get some of the livestock out we noticed some yellow algae-ish stuff around some of our polyps that we hadn't noticed before. We moved the rocks that were under them as well until we got to the sand bed and turned over the rock and it was covered in a yellow hair-like algae of some kind. I tried to look around, but the only thing that comes up when you look for yellow algae is swimming pool hits and the only way it says that you can get rid of that is by dosing with chlorine. Obviously not quite what we'd like to do at this point in time.
It is only one rock that has been affected, but would like to get some kind of insight if possible. Obviously I don't want to bring this into the LFS that is going to be purchasing the rock from us if it is going to kill their batch of live rock that they have.
I will try and get a picture of it if necessary as well.
Thanks in advance.
Jonathan.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by jschultz
http:///forum/post/2846672
Sadly, we are going to be taking down our salt water tank. Recent events have caused us to have to tear it down. We have secured a place for the livestock to go, but when we were moving some rock around trying to get some of the livestock out we noticed some yellow algae-ish stuff around some of our polyps that we hadn't noticed before. We moved the rocks that were under them as well until we got to the sand bed and turned over the rock and it was covered in a yellow hair-like algae of some kind. I tried to look around, but the only thing that comes up when you look for yellow algae is swimming pool hits and the only way it says that you can get rid of that is by dosing with chlorine. Obviously not quite what we'd like to do at this point in time.
It is only one rock that has been affected, but would like to get some kind of insight if possible. Obviously I don't want to bring this into the LFS that is going to be purchasing the rock from us if it is going to kill their batch of live rock that they have.
I will try and get a picture of it if necessary as well.
Thanks in advance.
Jonathan.
Try a tub or container with lid to block out light for a few days.