Macros..expert advice needed

sultros

I currently have multiple types of macros in my fuge.
Feathery, red and green grape caulepra, spaghetti, and a short bristly calepra.
Im trying to outcompete the macros that are running rampant in my display. the only one really causing a headache is dicytoa. its as bad if not worse than hair algae.
Will only growing one type of macro in my sump be better than growing multiple types? Since this is a nutrient war, it would make sense to grow one type and have it dominate the nutrients the other algaes are consuming. Am I flawed in my thinking? My friend has multiple types like me and one of his species crashed. This is what really got me thinking. I dont have any green or red grape or feathery caulepra growing in the display. My hope is that I can establish a a good population of one of these that is not growing in my display and hopefully it will take control of the nutrients.
I have to pull my macros anyway due to a flatworm infestation in my sump. Im thinking of using only the green grape since it seems to grow the fastest. A good fresh water dip should handle any worms.
any input would be greatly appreciated.

squidd

I'm a one Macro type of guy, and grow them to out compete "nuisance" algae (rather than Macro vs. Macro) But, let me throw my .02 in...
My thought would be that if your trying to "starve" one type of Macro (dicytoa) you "may" want to grow that same type (or very similar) in the fuge...The other types of Macros may not have the "same" nutrient requirements as the target Macro and not be as effective as a competitive species...
One may do better in a high nitrate environment the other may prefer phosphate...one may do better in a higher (or lower) calcium/alk level than the other or what your tank is at...
If you grew the same species they would have the same nutrient "requirements" and would be fed by the same tank water levels..sump and tank should be equal...
Then YOU could "manipulate" the other variables the Macros need to grow/thrive, such as lighting or water flow needs...
By having a longer light schedule in the fuge (maybe 24/7) they would have a more "opportunity" to grow...
By increasing flow in the tank and maintaining a slower flow in the fuge, the fuge Macros would have more "opportunity" to absorb nutrients through "osmosis" than their high flow tank counter parts...
It would "seem" to me that the pampered fuge Macros would thrive and "out compete" the tank Macros living under less than ideal conditions...
Once the tank is "cleared' of the nuisance Macros you could then pull the dicyota from the fuge and grow whatever type or combo you want...

sultros

The main algae I am battling is the Dicytoa which could be considered a macro if not merely a nuisance. Its brown, grows in a blade form that splits into a Y. Its as bad if not worse than hair algae. If a piece of it touches anything it will eventually bond to it...including soft corals. Its native to the Caribbean. Looks kind of like kelp.
I am currently doing just about everything mentioned.
24/7 lighting in the fuge plus low flow. High/turbulant flow in my display.
Im doing regular water changes using oceanic salt and my calc is sitting around 550ppm
I havent been able to successfully grow Dic in my fuge. It loves 440w of VHO though. I run a 75 watt PC bulb in my fuge.
I ordered a Sea hare so Im crossing my fingers. I currently have almost every species of algae in my display minus cyano and hair. This mutant is in for an all you can eat salad bar.
Anyone else want to chime in? I guess if it comes down to it Ill try it and post the results in a few months.

squidd

I'm not familiar with Dictyota off the top of my head, but if it's as bad as you indicate you may not want to mess with it in the fuge...
But, this may help in giving the fuge an edge to "outcompete" the tank no matter which Macro you choose to go with...
While watts per gallon are pretty useless for Coral, I don't have a problem using them as a comparison number for plants..
You say you have 440 watts over a 75...5.86 watts/gallon...lets say you run your lights 8 to 10 hrs a day...that would give you 48.6 to 58.6 "Watt/Hrs per gallon...
In your fuge you have 75 watts and since you didn't say how large I'll assume 20 to 29 gallons or 2.58 to 3.75 watts/gallon...running 24 hrs a day...61.9 to 90 "Watt/hrs per gallon...
A slight advantage to the fuge, but "maybe" not enough to swing growth in favor of the fuge...
On My tank I have 380 watts over a 54 X8 hrs or 56 "Watt/hrs per gallon"...and my fuge runs 130 Watt over a 30 gall on 24 hrs or 104 "Watt/hrs per gallon"...
Which is a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of the fuge...:thinking: and the numbers may be actually be a bit higher concidering "actual" water volume in the fuge..
Basicly I have found that while Macros will grow under less light...I get much more vigorous and lush/harvestable growth when I run 4+ watt per gallon over the fuge...
Just a thought...

reefen

I would love to see a picture of it if you have the time so I know what to avoid I currently have some brown kelp looking macro just starting to take hold of a rock curios if it's the same bad stuff.

benj2112

I remember someone who would love too be in your situation. Sorry...just had to say that.
Are you worried about anything going sexual in this process? Or isn't that even a worry since everything is in the display tank already?

sultros

Im always worried about algae going sexual but more due to water chemistry issues. I run my fuge lights 24-7 and my display only runs 11 hrs on.
I think Im going to stick with either green grape or chaeto. The feathery caulerpa seems to like to crash quite often so I'm going to avoid it.
got a sea hare in the mail yesterday. Pretty neat creature. Cant wait to see if it does a good job. Even if it doesnt it's amazing to watch.