Mag 9.5 Please Help !!

marinemarty

Hi All, My Mag 9.5 started making some real bad noise and has shut off. Anyway i can clean or service the pump, it's my return pump and i am with one as of now please help.
Martin

reefnut

Take it apart and clean it up. You can soak the parts in vinegar to loosen buildup. Make sure the impeller rod is cleaned also.

marinemarty

I did, the pump just makes a strange buzzing sound when you plug it in. I think something went wrong inside the motor. :(
Martin

javatech

the only moving part is the impeller so try pluging it in with out the impeller in it and see if it still makes the noise

S

starfishjackedme

I would try ordering a new impeller (cheap). I seriously doubt it is the motor unit itself. Unless it was dropped or smashed, the motor unit is encapsulated in epoxy and has no moving parts.

vavoom

It might be bad, I had one die on me, although I did drop it about 1 foot. It kept blowing the GFI, & acted simular. How old is it??? They have a 3 year warranty, might need to test it out, that's how I fixed mine;)

bigmac

Try running the pump in a bucket with 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water for a few hours......if that doesn't help you might need a new impeller.

marinemarty

Hi All, I took the impeller off and cleanedit. The pump has never been dropped since i had it. I bought the pump in july, so warrnaty still holds. Also i plugged the unit in and the impeller does not turn, it just buzzes then shuts off. Should i try the water and vinegar thing anyway?? Thanks All
Martin

dburr

Did you try giving it a couple of knocks when you plugged it in??????????
Once in a great while mine will get stuck after unplugging it.

squidd

I don't know how you cleaned the impeller but try soaking it in the vinigar (full strength)
Also check/clean calcium deposits on the shafts...where the little spacers are/ between the impeller itself and where it enters the end cap bushings
A small amount of friction/interference there will keep the impeller from starting/restarting to spin.
HTH
:cool: