Mag Drive Pump/Minimum size tubing Question

coopersx

I just purchased a Mag/drive Supreme (model 1200) for my saltwater marine tank. The Mag Drive pump has 3/4" threaded intakes and outake ports. The manual states the *minimum* inner diameter size tubing for *maximum* flowrate is 1.5". I want to know if tubing that has an inner diameter less then 1.5" still be used with this pump? I have 3/4 " inner diameter couplings on the tanks bulkhead and 3/4" inner diameter tubing that will connect this pump to my tank. Will the 3/4" tubing work or will this cause extreme back pressure possibly damaging the pump?
Thanks, Wayne S Cooper
P.S. I left a message at Danner but it takes 3 business days for a return call.

reefnut

I would highly recommend increasing to at least a 1" inner dia... I changed from a 3/4" to 1" a while back and it made a HUGE difference in flow rate and that was only with a Mag 9.5.

hoycetee

i have mag 9.5 and run 1.5" return, you should double what the pumps threads are, which the manual states and i've been told the samething from someone who makes sumps for a living, but mine works great

coopersx

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead and change the fitting in the tank to accomondate at least a 1" inner diameter tube.
Thanks, Wayne