Mag Drives... ol' reliable

scsinet

Thought I'd share this with everyone...
I've got a 120g freshwater planted tank in my office at work. It's got a Co2 system on it, with a Mag 3 dedicated to powering the Co2 reactor.
I've been on vacation, but stopping by every few days to feed the fish and top off the tank. The last time I was there was Sunday.
On Monday morning, I got a call from one of my guys that the tank was making funny noises. I asked them to describe the noise, they said just a weird gurgle. They said everything *looked* normal. The CPR overflow on the tank sometimes gurgles... so I disregarded it.
I came back to work this morning, and found that the CPR overflow had broken siphon, and the tank was full to the absolute brim. The Mag 9.5 return and Mag 3 Co2 reactor pump were running dry... Judging from the fact that the back of the overflow was bone dry, they've probably been that way since Monday.
These things ran dry for nearly 48 hours. I reestablished siphon and the pumps are running just fine. Now that's a sweet pump.

scsinet

I love my Sequence and Iwaki pumps for external use, but I love mags for submersible applications.

J

jrthomas40

i want to rebuild my stand and sump system so that i can use one of the external pumps but for now the mag 7 is doin a good job

kjr_trig

Thats good to hear, because I likely have three of them coming with my new set-up....Mag 3 for the Penguin UV Sterilizer, Mag 12 for the Aqua C EV skimmer, and Mag 18 for the returns.

jonthefishguy

We have mag 36s' plumbed into the tanks in our company truck for customer water changes. Good to know that they can take a small beating without damage.

J

jrthomas40

i would like to make my mag 7 run more efficent and i read something in a magazine the other day about using oversized pvc to reduce the backpressure on the pump...the pump is probably working at about maybe 4-5 head so i am pushing about 300-400 something gph...i want to plumb it with pvc but the elbows would further reduce the gph...any ideas of what i can do??

B

blackaero1

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i would like to make my mag 7 run more efficent and i read something in a magazine the other day about using oversized pvc to reduce the backpressure on the pump...the pump is probably working at about maybe 4-5 head so i am pushing about 300-400 something gph...i want to plumb it with pvc but the elbows would further reduce the gph...any ideas of what i can do??
Yep, oversize just like you said. My mag drive 9.5 is run using 1 1/2" PVC pipe (2 times the size of the outlet on the pump) and I have no problems other than maybe too much flow for what I need. Luckily I installed a T and ball valve to send some extra water back into the fuge if needed. It was needed and its an easy way to throttle back the pump without causing much back pressure. When you upsize your pipe, you may get more flow I'm not sure as I never tried mine with 3/4" and I'm sure someone more educated on it will chime in as well.

J

jrthomas40

what size tank do you have??...i have a mag 7 on a 90g...and if i use over size pvc, dont you have to make an adapter to connect the pvc to the pump to make it larger then you have to reduce it again at the bulkhead to get it back into tank....i am using 3/4" tubing now strecthed to fit over the outlet with hose clamp to secure (lesson learned) but i think the pvc return might be 1" or 1.5"...i will have to look when i get back home....but either way say i extend the outlet to 1.5" reducing back pressure at the pump but then reduce at the bulk return didnt i just waste my time?

myzislow

how did your cpr overflow lose siphon? Do you have the aqua lifter pump? If you do have the aqua lifter pump, the only way I could see it losing siphon would be if the lifter pump failed, or the orifice that it draws air from got clogged with debris. An over flow losing siphon is a nightmare I wish never to have. Sounds like you got really lucky.

scsinet

Yeah I have the lifter. With it being a planted tank, debris get clogged up in the pump all the time.
I usually just have to take the hose off and blow into it and it clears it out. The pump I replace every 6 months whether it's working or not... I don't take the chance of it failing on me.

B

blackaero1

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
what size tank do you have??...i have a mag 7 on a 90g...and if i use over size pvc, dont you have to make an adapter to connect the pvc to the pump to make it larger then you have to reduce it again at the bulkhead to get it back into tank....i am using 3/4" tubing now strecthed to fit over the outlet with hose clamp to secure (lesson learned) but i think the pvc return might be 1" or 1.5"...i will have to look when i get back home....but either way say i extend the outlet to 1.5" reducing back pressure at the pump but then reduce at the bulk return didnt i just waste my time?
I've got a 75 and the way its plumbed is pvc all the way. 1 1/2 all the way with threaded 3/4 reducer at the pump end. I have it downsize to 1" outlets in the tank and so far like the effect. Its a gentle stream out of the returns but still strong enough to push the water to the bottom of the tank using 45 degree elbows. I'm considering going with a mag 7 but that uses a 1/2" outlet so I'd have to consider that as well.

andy51632

Originally Posted by SCSInet
That's why I don't use anything but drilled tanks anymore.
Hey SCSInet, do you have any troubles maintaining CO2 in your tank since you are using a overflow system on your tank. I have read that is a no, no for a planted tank because it gases off CO2.
If you have time could you give me your specs on the tank size? lighting? filter? plants you are using? fish you have?
thanks.

scsinet

Well honestly I have to pump large amounts of Co2 into the tank to make up for my filtration. I use a 20lb cylinder and it lasts me about 3-4 months. I used to use 5lb cylinders, which lasted a month or so, but they were costing me $13 to fill, whereas 20lbs is about $15... 4x as much gas for $2 more, so it was a no brainer. Besides, I needed the 5lb for a Calcium Reactor here at home.
At the time I designed the filtration system, I wasn't planning to use Co2 at all, so I didn't consider that. It's a wet/dry filter, so it's a cinch that by the time the water goes through the filtration system, there's no Co2 left in it at all.
The tank is a Perfecto Std. 120gal (60x18x24 I think).
I'm using (4) 110w VHO lights driven by an Icecap 660. 3 lamps are overdriven standard Phillips 6500K daylight, one is a URI 50/50 Daylight Actinic VHO.
My filtration is a CPR Wet/Dry connected to a 10g return sump, holding the Aqua Medic Co2 Reactor, Mag 9.5 return, Mag 3 Co2 Pump, and a pair of Jager 250w heaters.
Co2 is controlled by a Milwaukee Regulator/Solenoid and a Milwaukee pH controller, which is probably ridiculously out of cal.
Substrate is 200lbs of Seachem Fluorite (recently upgraded to this from river rock, WORTH EVERY PENNY).
My fish... well I'm transitioning. You'll have to forgive me as I'm not as "up" on scientific names on freshwater fish. I have a few siamese algae eaters, a Synodontis Cat (Euruptus (sp?)), one standard pleco, and two clown loaches that I've had for a few years now.
The rest of the fish are remnants... people at work have on a few occasions asked me to take in their fish so they can tear down their tank, so I've got a few here and there. In total, there's probably less than 10 fish in the tank.
I'm not replacing fish when they go as I'm preparing to change over to Discus... I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

The mods will probably yell at us for talking freshwater on this board, so if you wanna yak about it some more PM me and I'll give you my email address and we can talk about it off-board.