Mag or Quiet one?

hun25

Cant decide between a Mag 9.5 and a quiet one 4000, noise is an issue! I would greatly appreciate any input!

haakon

Hi Hun25,
I am in the same situation trying to find a quiet pump. I have a Mag 9.5 and it is much quieter than the RIO that I had. I can't really hear it run over the noise of the cascading water running down to my sump. I am happy with it however I needed a pump for my protein skimmer so I was again in search of a quiet pump. I had heard a lot of good reports of how quiet the Quiet One was so I purchased one with about 700 GPH output. When I received it I was stunned to hear how loud it was. I sent it back thinking that it was a factory defect, however the next Quiet One that was sent out turned out to be exactly the same. Being satisfied with the Mag 9.5, I ordered a Mag 7 for the protein skimmer. It was quieter than the Quiet One's by a long shot however it was noticeably noisier than the than the Mag 9.5. Maybe I will try a Eheim as I have heard many good reports on them, but I am worried that there are maybe just some good ones built while others pumps of the same model will be noisier. That is the only way that I can explain the poor performance of the Quiet One when I had heard some much good about it and the noisier Mag 7 when it comes from the same line as the Mag 9.5. All the best and if anyone else has experience with a consistantly quiet brand of pump I would be interested to hear this type of experience as well.
Thanks,
Haakon

hun25

Thanks haakon, I think I have found a solution for my noisey waterfall. I ordered a durso standpipe. I should recieve it tomorrow and install it Sunday. I hope its atleast better than what I have now!

haakon

Sounds good. Personally I don't mind the sound of water falling. It is just the constaint buzzing sound from the pump that gets on my nerves. All the best.
Haakon

snailheave

never used a quiet one but my mag 12 is quiet than a wee rio pump despite more than 5 times the flow rate.

acrylic51

I would opt for the Quiet One....Good quality pump, and Mags are none to leak if run externally, and they do have a problem from time to time starting as well, and if run submerged they will add heat to the water......Why add more heat to the water if it can be avoided?????Can't really use the excuse you can plumb it with a bulkhead....Bulkheads can be drilled either with a diamond keyhole saw bit or a dremel with the correct bits, just a little more work but a whole lot nicer IMO

acrylic51

Yep!!!!!That was exactly my point about running a submersible pump but some externals transfer heat to the water as well!!!!!