Mag Owners

How loud are the mag's i am looking at getting a pump for a close loop. I am trying to decide on the mag (because it so much cheaper) or the Velocity T4? Im not sure which one would be better.

I use Mag's on all my systems. I use a Mag 24 for my 155 return with PVC, because that pump is so powerful, it causes a hummm sound and a slight vibration. But nothing too major, the water of the filter is way louder.

nm reef

I've been using a Mag12 for over two years now and I've never heard more than a slight hum...but mine is located in a room behind my display. I'm in there a lot and the noise has never been very noticeable...I'll soon be adding a Mag18 for additional circulation on a larger display and I anticipate no noise related problems.:thinking:

I use a mag 9 in the sump. Just a slight hum is all I hear.
I use a Mag 7 for a closed loop. When a mag is out of the water it's much louder. You'll definitely be able to hear it.

bigmac

I've used two Mag 12's and Mag 7 and a Mag 2...only the mag 2 is used external. The Mag 7 was one of the older models, it was a POJ. The Mag 12's were used for sump return and work great. The Mag 2 is used for circulation on my Ca reactor. It leaks everytime I clean it so I have to make sure I use silicone when I put it back together. Your post suggest your going to run it external so I'd opt for the T4

Ok i think i should run the t4 hey kip does the t4 heat your water up?
the guy from the store said it would heat it up a little he was trying to talk me in to a doplin pump but im only putting this on a 110 (i think the dolpin pumps are more)

bigmac

Originally posted by sanangelofish2
Ok i think i should run the t4 hey kip does the t4 heat your water up?
the guy from the store said it would heat it up a little he was trying to talk me in to a doplin pump but im only putting this on a 110 (i think the dolpin pumps are more)

What Dolphin pump is he suggesting? Dolphin sold the Velocity pumps as their own for a few years but they discontinued them about two years ago because of what was then a poor design. I know they lost their pants on them. They were changing them out for Amp Master pumps at one time.