Mag pump owners please help, having problems with heat..

zanemoseley

Ok I've had my mag9.5 for about 3 months now on my 75 and has worked fine, recently within the past 2 days or so I've noticed my tank is hotter than normal, I have a digital temp. read out on my Pro heat II titanium heater. Anyway I isolated the problem to the mag9.5 over the 2 maxijets and sedra pump on my euroreef. My tank used to run at about 79 degrees because that was where my heater was set to kick on. A couple days ago I saw the tank got to about 81.4 so I cleaned the maxi's and the mag inside and out. Now my tank gets up to 80.5 with just the NO lights and the mag running so obviously the mag is getting hot. When I cleaned it I took it apart and scrubbed it with a toothbrush and vinegar. What should I do.

zanemoseley

I didn't think about that too much, so your bet is its just room temp.... just looked at my thermostat and its 76 inside.. guess thats it
At first I thought a pump was dirty. I was actually suprised how little there was to clean inside the pump. I cleaned all visable dirt/debris. Will brushing out the inside with vinegar be enough to clean my pumps or do I have to run them in diluted mix of vinegar/water to fully clean it.
Kip how often do you clean your ES? I want to do it as little as possible because I have to drain my sump and take the sump out to get the Euro out because of my stand. I don't dose Bionic in the same sump section as the Euro I dose it into the return pump section so it doesn' directly suck up calcium.

zanemoseley

man kip my tank is up to 81.0 and I've had the A/C on for a hour or so and my apartment is till at about 74-75
my canopy I built for the halides is fitted with 4 50CFM orion fans, do you think that will offset the heat produced by 2 250w MH's? Hopefully my tank won't be much higher than 81-82 during the day in the summer cause I sure as hell can't afford $500 for a chiller

pursuit

Yea, I'm worried about the temp my tank will run in the summer. I didn't think about it till it was too late, I already purchased my equipment. I'm hoping since the air conditioner runs almost constantly in the house that I'll be ok.
If I run into a problem I was thinking about a small cheap frige/freezer and have a hose run from the sump through a hole in the side of the freezer and have the hose loop back and forth some in there and come back out another hole back to the sump. I could even use it to store any frozen foods and such. Problem with that though is when it's not in use the water in the line will freeze, unless I have a way to remove it.
I don't know.

ldc3000

I'm not for certain how you are using it. I'm using a mag 12 as my return pump. You may want to try using it inline.

zanemoseley

I have my mag running in the sump as a return
actually I think a higher quality return pump is sooner in my future sooner than a chiller
so far the mag doesn't impress me too much due to the amount of heat the thing seems to produce

tony detroit

My mag24 on my skimmer raises my 300gal 2-3 degrees in 3 days or so. I would run it 24/7 if it did not, but instead I run it probably 3 days a week, sometimes more.

fish sense

I am having a similar issue. I unplugged my heater just to make sure. My temp has increased several degrees. I am going to clean out my Mag 5 before my tank mates cook. I'm pushing 84 during the day. I don't know what happened? In the summer I'm really going to have a problem!

zanemoseley

well my A/C took care of the problem, I didn't know ambient room temperature made such a difference in tank temp.