Magically Vanishing Aiptasia!!! (w/ pics)

grabbitt

...Compliments of this wonderful stuff. IT FREAKIN WORKS.

This thing popped up a few weeks ago and has been growing rapidly. It had to be taken out ASAP (Just left of the excessively affectionate clown).

-On a sidenote: These are the best shots I could get, as the GSM managed to sit directly in front of the lens every single time I tried to snap a pic.
Four Hours Later....

It retracted into its hole and died off (so I'm assuming). This stuff is amazing. The GSM is kind enough to point out the spot under examination...

jman72

Sorry to break it to you, but that stuff is not almighty. I have used it, and the aptasia will grow right back in the same place. I would say that best bet to get rid of them is peppermint shrimp.

puffer32

If it grows back, then you didn't get it totally. I use it and have never had any grow back. If you zap it before it ducks back into a hole, right in its mouth, its a gonner.

t316

Two Questions on this issue:
1) Joe's Juice: Do you have to "inject" it "into" the aptasia, as in with a sharp needle, or just shoot it on it really close? Will it affect anything else in the tank?
2) Pepperment Shrimp: Do they just keep the aptasia "trimmed" back and holed up, or do they kill it when they eat the exposable parts?

grabbitt

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2501344
Two Questions on this issue:
1) Joe's Juice: Do you have to "inject" it "into" the aptasia, as in with a sharp needle, or just shoot it on it really close? Will it affect anything else in the tank?
2) Pepperment Shrimp: Do they just keep the aptasia "trimmed" back and holed up, or do they kill it when they eat the exposable parts?
1) No. The box includes a syringe with a plastic applicator tip. All you really need to do is get the tip right at the mouth and essentially cram the stuff into its mouth.
2) Some peps do it and some peps don't... I've had several, but none of them would pay any attention to the aiptasia, at least not before being eaten. I think they kill it entirely if they focus enough on one at a time, but I am not sure about this..

grabbitt

Originally Posted by puffer32
http:///forum/post/2501317
If it grows back, then you didn't get it totally. I use it and have never had any grow back. If you zap it before it ducks back into a hole, right in its mouth, its a gonner.

I don't think it will be coming back. I got it pretty good dead-on before it retracted into it's hole, and even then I continued shooting it into the hole.

monkerz

Did the job the first time for me. Over 20+ DEAD. Thanks JOE
I am a beliver in this product. Just my 2cents

t316

That's a blurry pic, but that looks like one there in the center. They kinda look like feather dusters, but they are actually anemones (very pretty in my opinion), but cause havoc on your corals.

morval

if u want to save some money just buy a big jar of kalk mix and mix a lil bit and tank water and BANG u just made ur own joes juice
so u get about 70X the amount of joes for a extra $5.aptasia is real tricky it grows with almost no light so it can be under rocks and in ur filters so just cause u got killed one dont mean u got them all just check/clean all ur equip and stay on top of any more u might see

grabbitt

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2502012
if u want to save some money just buy a big jar of kalk mix and mix a lil bit and tank water and BANG u just made ur own joes juice
so u get about 70X the amount of joes for a extra $5.aptasia is real tricky it grows with almost no light so it can be under rocks and in ur filters so just cause u got killed one dont mean u got them all just check/clean all ur equip and stay on top of any more u might see

That is a good idea, but I only needed enough to zap this one... It came on a frag from my LFS (which has a very big issue with aiptasia and majano anemones). I'm hoping it's not spreading somewhere I can't see. Besides, I got this for $7, so the price was right

jman72

I have never thought of getting it as close as possible before squirting it. I will try that in the future (and squirting the hole too). I accidently sprayed my hammer coral with the stuff and it is still perfectly healthy. Joe's Juice is about as close to 100% reef safe as possible.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by jman72
http:///forum/post/2502613
I have never thought of getting it as close as possible before squirting it. I will try that in the future (and squirting the hole too). I accidently sprayed my hammer coral with the stuff and it is still perfectly healthy. Joe's Juice is about as close to 100% reef safe as possible.
So did you just pour some into the tank like a treatment or were you using the syringe at an ineffective distance?

jman72

I was using the syringe from an ineffective distance, but I missed an aptasia once and squirted my beautiful hammer.

ibew

I use it to kill xenia and GSP or could be used to kill other problem corals that start to take over