Magnesium

premnusb

Can anyone tell me of a way that I can lower the Mg level in my reef. I've been having trouble keeping Ph up and all I can figure is that my Mg level is too high. I've performed water changes but they don't seem to affect it much. Right now my Alkalinity is about 6 Ph 8.23 Calcium 380 and Mg around 1560. Anyone help?:nervous:

nm reef

Just out of curiosity...any idea how or why your magnesium got so high? Even with regular water changes I sometimes need to suppliment just to maintain magnesium around 1300 ppm.
Most salt mixs I've used are lower than 1300 ppm or close to it. :thinking:

premnusb

When my tank finished it's cycle, about a year and a half ago, I tested the Mg and it was very low. So, I dosed with natureef's Mg up. I followed their recommended dosing quantity per gallon and when I tested, after one dose, it was too high. Don't know what got mixed up there but I've done numerous water changes and it hasn't really come down. Only about 200 ppm over the past 15 months. I have had a lot of trouble keeping calcium and Ph levels upand my best guess is that the Mg is out of balance. My alkalinity is only so high at the moment because I've switched off B-ionic and begun using seachem's reef buffer to keep Ph up until my Calcium reactor comes in in about another week. :cheer: I can't wait... I'm hoping it will correct these problems. I'd like to bring the Mg down a bit lower before I set up the reactor. As for Natureef's product. It works!!! Too well I think.

golfish

Are you using Oceanic salt mix? If so stop using it and try something else.
I have the same problem, the only way I know of to lower Mag levels is to do water changes, using a salt mix that has a lower level.
Here's a good time to ask...can all you guys using Oceanic salt test the mag level of your WC water? think I'll star another thread.