Magnificent foxface

mjm889

has anyone kept this fish before and is it alot like the foxface rabbit fish? is it hardy? is to take care of? thanks - mike

9supratt4

I have one!! Great fish!! Gorgeous fish!! Very easy to take care of. But just like everyone else has stated...very skittish. Also, some people say that Rabbitfish nip at corals....Mine hasn't and I have a bit of everything!!

rlablan

If you give them seaweed sheets or nori, they will learn to come to the top. I don't hand feed my FF because they freak out WAY easy and you have never seen a fish have a spaz attack until you have seen a foxface dart around a tank. If they get spooked, beware man! It's NUTS!!!!
They are truely beautiful though, and they eat hair algae like you wouldn't believe! Also, they are funny to watch with their "moodiness".

9supratt4

Originally Posted by mjm889
http:///forum/post/3181634
will come up by the top of the tank to eat? does it hide alot?
Mine does come to the top to eat!! It will eat Nori sheets from the top and will also....almost eat from my hand....It doesn't take it, but it doesn't run away either.
It does run if there isn't food

cranberry

I fed mine with a turkey baster.... he would bite the end and I would give a little bit.
Don't hand feed him. You don't want him following your hand around in the tank. Remember they are venomous and it's easy to get a startle reflex out of them.

K

kravjitsu

We just bought a mag FF and he is adjusted well (eats seaweed from a clip, lots of personality) but we think he might be nipping at our dwarf fuzzy lionfish... is this possible?
I have read that FF can be 'playful' so I wasnt sure if maybe he was just looking for a friend, as we have few fish. But we see a small nip in the lionfish. Is this uncommon for them to be mildly aggressive? Tank is 75 gal w corals. Only 4 fish (lionfish, flamehawk, 1 pj cardinal,FF)
thoughts? Thanks.

rlablan

That very well could be. Mine has never nipped, but he may think it is something on the rocks that he is nipping at. After all, lion fish are great at camouflaging themselves. Maybe the foxface doesn't really know he is doing it?
Also, it could be another fish, but IMO it seems like the FF is the most likely to be the nipper.

mjm889

hard to say my ff is very bold almost like a trigger. he is not afraid of skittish like some had say. Im glad he is very bold. He doesnt pick on any of the fish just the rocks were all the green algae is. between the ff and the pinktail trigger the rip a nori sheet to threads in about two seconds. good luck with your ff

rlablan

I always heard that the FF were not reef safe, and that no rabbit fish were.
I have bought both of mine from a local LFS who says different. They have FF and all kinda of rabbit fish in their coral tanks and always have. The fish are happy and the corals are gorgeous. I always buy my FFs right out of the coral tanks, cause I know they are used to being around corals.
I would say Yes, but maybe not with clams? I dunno... I have mine with a clam and it was just fine.

I guess it's up to you if it is reef safe or not?

mjm889

i would say that ff are good for controling hair algae almost better than some tangs. as far as reef safe im not sure about that

K

kravjitsu

So far (about a week and a half) I have not seen my FF go near any corals. I have zoas, mushrooms, finger leather, 2 monits,an open brain, and a favia. So far I have not seen him pick at any of them.

bigal0221

My Magnificent was very skiddish at first and did have a couple of spaz attacks. But after a while she settled down and now she is always out in the open and comes to the top to eat, she just about jumps out of the water when I get close because she knows its dinner time. I know it is probably not the smartest thing to do but I actually do hand feed mine from time to time.

mjm889

mine was a monster right from the start, will eat anything i put in the tank!!! she wont back down from anyone

cranberry

I've seen chunks of my coral go flying... but always on accident. He couldn't resist the mysis sitting in the tubastrea and sometimes took a zoa with a piece of nuisance algae close by.
I consider them reef safe myself.... I had a reef and he was in there for over 10 years. But there is one every now and then that is said to develop a taste for zoas. My husband has seen it happen, but he considered it very very rare.