MAGNUM 350 Pro System VS regular Wet/Dry Filter

moy

Im thinking about upgrading my filter. I need your help.! Which should get:
1. Magnum 350 Pro System Canister Filter (Which includes a Bio Wheel Pro 60) $99.00
OR
2. a Regular Wet/Dry filter (you know the one's that have all the little blue bio balls)
I have a 46gallon Bowfront. Which would be better to get??
Please advise! :eek:

sonny

I will assume you're doing a reef, in which case I'd recommend you invest in some good live rock and a power head (or two) rather than the two filters you mentioned. Either of them would be a nitrate factory. That means it has no capacity to reduce wastes beyond the nitrate stage, which is nitrogen gas. The Wet/Dry would be very useful as a sump, by not using the bioballs. You might could buy it without the bioballs, and that should be cheaper. If you are not doing a reef, then the wet/dry would be the best. Either way, you should consider the use of a sump (the wet/dry box) in your system. It gives you capacity for more water in the system, and also allows you to get stuff like heaters and skimmers out of the main tank. If you don't have a skimmer, that would be another good addition.
Sonny

moy

Does anyone else have any other comments about this two products??! :rolleyes:
Please, i would really appreciate any further info! :confused:

nasotang00

I just replaced my Magnum 350 Pro with a 10 gallon sump that I put together. Sonny is right, the Magnum is a nitrate factory. I could never keep mine down. Also true about teh bio balls. If you buy the wet dry toss the balls out and just use it as a sump.
my opinion.

zachary

The brand new wet/dry canister that I bought when I started my tank is now wrapped up on the shelf. Worthless nitrate factory. I agree with Sonny and Naso.