Magnum as return in a sump?

Another brain storm. I have a problem with the sump size being only 10 gal and need to fit in mechanical filtration.
Can a Magnum 220/350 canister filter be used as a return pump. This will give me good mechanical filtration and avoid the mag5 as a sump return. I guess I could put a valve on both lines (overflow and return) to control flow levels. What do you think?
Second, I could use the mag5 and T off the return and run it through the canister (mag 350 notswitched on) and return it to the sump. Would this work?
I'm trying to avoid extra pumps and electric bills. Thanks.

Interesting idea, I've seen something else similar done in the past. Can you give some more details about what you will be doing with this tank. With regards to the Magnum canister, if you're just trying to get Mech. filtration you could save even more space by using a single capacity (the smallest size) Rainbow Lifeguard Mech. canister. Or if you're looking to save space in the sump the flow from a Magnum 350 might even be sufficient. As far as running the Magnum Canister W/Mag 5 pump, you may want more opinions from people that have tried that. I would think it to be fine especially if it's going to be T'd off, but I'm not sure if there would be a pressure issue invoved that would be too much for the canister. Good luck with it.
Later,
Myk.

I already have the Magnum 330 and 220 from tanks past. Anyway, the feed into the sump would be from an amiracle overflow box down to a 10 gal. sump. The water would flow over the LR and up the Magnum to the tank. The only adjustments would be to control the flow of the feed line w/ a valve. Thanks for the interest Mykgillespie.
BigMac,
Was your Magnum used as a return from a sump. Interested to know what size tank and why the results were just o.k...Thanks guys..