Maine Lobster Growing?

scooby1350

OK this is something I have been wonder for a long time, but can a saltwater tank grow a Maine lobster?
So basically I want to know if I could go to Local grocery store get a small lobster and grow it till it the right size?

anthropo

yeah but you would have to have a chiller and proper hiding places. it's just like any other invert except it comes from cooler waters

anthropo

would not last long in that temp. u'd be cooking him. they're use to water being around 50-65 degrees

bojik

good way to tell what temp you need ask the place what temp they have the display tank for them set to.

reefkprz

this is a trip! I cant wait to see what people say on this thread, I live in maine my uncle is a lobsterman, I'm gonna stay out of this for a while. this should be amusing.

bojik

you know the large expensive lobsters you see in ritzy restaurants? Some of them are like 50-70 years old! (so they say...)

reefkprz

LOBSTER BASICS
Lobsters are invertebrates, members of the Class Crustacea of the Phylum Arthropoda. Lobsters, along with other organisms without backbones (such as crab, shrimp, crayfish, water fleas, copepods, barnacles, and wood lice), are commonly called crustaceans (from a Latin word meaning hard shell).
The lobster's body has 19 parts, each covered by a section of its hard shell. The shell is thin and soft where the parts join, so the lobster can bend its body and move about.
Lobsters breathe through gills located beneath the shell on both sides of its thorax (center part).
Lobsters have two pairs of antennae on their head. Their eyes are compound eyes, consisting of hundreds of lenses joined together on the ends of a pair of slender, jointed organs called "stalks." They keep their antennae and eye stalks moving constantly to search for food and to watch for enemies.
It is unlikely that the lobster's nervous system is sophisticated enough to sense pain as we know it. Like all arthropods, the nervous system of a lobster is very primitive, containing far fewer nerve cells than human nervous systems. The nerve cells are grouped in clusters called ganglia. A lobster has no cerebral cortex, the area of the human brain that gives the perception of pain.
Lobsters are cannibalistic. Very territorial, when they encounter one another, they become aggressive and fight, using their claws as weapons, until one backs away.
Lobster blood usually has very little color, although when exposed to air it turns pinkish or red. When cooked, however, it becomes white and "sweats" out of the meat. It is the white substance that you find along the inside of the shell when you crack it open.
A male lobster is called a ---- and a female a hen or chicken (when it weighs about one pound). A one-clawed lobster is called a cull. If it has no claws, it's called a pistol.
If a lobster loses a claw or an eye, it is usually able to grow another, although the new one is usually smaller. One of the most extraordinary abilities that lobsters possess is called reflex amputation. The lobster will throw or release an appendage when stimulated by shock, fear or injury. It will later regenerate this part.
All lobsters do not have the heavy ("crusher") claw on the same side. Those having it on the right are considered "right-handed," and the others are "left-handed."
The 2004 Maine lobster harvest landed 63.2 million pounds, a 20 percent increase over the previous record set in 2002, according to the Maine Department of Marine Resources. The value of the 2004 catch was a record $253.5 million.
The largest lobster ever caught in Maine measured 36 in. from nose to tail. The largest ever caught weighed 42 pounds, seven ounces.
COLOR
In their native North Atlantic Ocean, the color of live lobsters varies somewhat, but in general they are a dark blue-green, with spots. There are also rare, yellow, red, and white ones. Except for the white ones, they all turn red when cooked. Why? Because the lobster's shell consists of many different color pigment chromatophores. When it is cooked, all the pigments are masked except for astaxanthin, which is the background red pigment.
A genetic defect occasionally produces the very rare "blue" lobster. The defect causes the production of an excessive amount of protein. The protein wraps around a small, red carotenoid molecule known as astaxanthin. The two push together, forming a blue complex known as crustacyanin which gives the lobster shell a blue color. About one in a million lobsters are blue. When cooked, it ends up looking like anyother lobster -- a baked orange color.
MOLTING OR SHEDDING
Lobsters grow by molting or shedding their shell. It takes a lobster four to seven years to grow to be one pound in weight and to become an adult. They molt, or shed their shells, about 25 times in those first years of life. An adult male lobster sheds its old shell and grows a new one twice a year and a female once, increasing about 1/2 in. and 1/3 pound each time. When molting, the lobster's body gives off a substance that softens the shell. Then, by expanding its muscles, the lobster splits the shell and steps out of it. This process takes approximately 15 minutes. The new shell, which had formed under the old one, is soft and gives the lobster no protection. It takes about eight weeks for the new shell to harden. After the old hard shell is discarded the lobster is sometimes called a “new-shell lobster” or a "shedder." In Maine, new-shell lobsters are usually harvested from July through October. No one has yet found a way to determine the exact age of a lobster because it sheds its shell so often.

reefkprz

EATING HABITS
Lobsters feed on the bottom of the ocean, usually in coastal areas. They "smell" their food by using four small antennae on the front of their heads and tiny sensing hairs that cover their bodies. The larger of the 2 claws on a Maine Lobster is called the "crusher claw" and has thick teeth to crush prey. The smaller is called the "tearing claw" and has sharp teeth to tear food apart. The teeth of a lobster are in its stomach. The stomach is located a very short distance from its mouth, and the food is actually chewed in the stomach between three grinding surfaces that look like molar teeth called the "gastric mill". Lobsters feed mostly on snails, mussels, clams, crabs, urchins, and small fish. Sometimes, larger lobsters will eat baby lobsters.
REPRODUCTION
Female lobsters usually lay eggs only once every two years. They carry their eggs attached to the curved underside of the tail. A lobster egg is the size of the head of a pin. A 1-pound female lobster usually lays between 5000 to 100,000 eggs at a time and carries them for about a year until they are ready to hatch. She then shakes them out of the shell, releasing them as larvae which she then attempts to consume. Only about 1/10 of one percent of those eggs will live past 6 weeks because the larvae rise to the surface where they drift and swim for about three to five weeks. During that time they are easy prey for sea birds, fish, and other enemies. Then, after their 4th molt, they sink to the bottom where they spend the rest of their lives. At this point in their development, the young crustaceans actually look like miniature lobsters. A lobster's normal life span is about 15 years.
A female lobster with a V-Notch in its tail has been found to be an egg-carrying female; she has been notched and returned to the sea to protect her eggs. It is illegal to keep and/or sell a V-Notched lobster.
To determine the gender of a lobster, you have to look closely at the swimmerets, those small feathery appendages on the underside of the tail. The first pair of swimmerets closest to the body are hard and bony on a male, and soft and feathery like the rest of the swimmerets, on a female. Only the female has a small rectangular shield between her second pair of walking legs. This is the sperm receptacle where she stores the sperm after mating until she lays her eggs. Note, too, that a female has a wider tail than a comparably-sized male because she needs the extra breadth to carry so many eggs

bojik

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Wait, wait, wait. Your going to get a pet lobster, grow it and then eat it?
Dude! Your sick.
He should grow one up nice and big then cook him for his anniversary.

chipmaker

Hey I have one of those commercial holding tanks they use to keep lobsters in at fish markets. It is like new and works perfectly. IIRC without having to walk down to the barn and look at it there is a desired range on the temp knob of about 60-65 deg. I used it alrerady to keep koi fingerlings in and it worked fine.....shipping would be a bear as its heavy.....if it was not so commercial looking it would make a neat aquarium.
I'm guessing its about 140-150 gal capacity, with thermo pane glass and stainless steel base.. LIghts leave a lot to be desired but hey you can always retro. ;-)
I think getting a spiney or linguista or even a shovel nose or spanish slipper lobster would be better. They get large and are quite delicious. We kept a spiney lobster in a local's tank we kept back then at 78 deg and it readily ate chopped fish or shrimp we made and used to feed the tanks inhabitants. That lobster wa approx 7" on the tail portion which is fairly large for a spiney in this region..perfect eating size.

anonome

There is a fish store not too far from my house that has had a slipper lobster, I would say 6-7 inches for sale about a 6 months in there reef system. His own tank, but the same water as the other fish, tangs, damsels etc.... They want $37.99 for him. I know he has been there for at least 6 months and doing fine. Eventhough I find him kind of boring. Just stays in the same position most of the day. They say he moves around at night. No idea what they feed him.