maintaining a reef

cmonti

Im looking for advice on the correct trace elements and additives needed to properly maintain a reef tank. Im reluctant to take suggestions from my fish store assuming they are just trying to high priced items. I have a 7 month old 20g nano tank with a few "easy" specimens. Im currently adding Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium and the Builder to raise alkalinity. I've been adding the Builder Monday and Friday ad the Advantage Wednesday and Sunday to maintain proper levels or as needed. I also add Kent Phytoplex and Zooplex every other day, The tank is stocked with a star poly, various mushrooms, a kenya tree frag and trumpet coral. I also have a protein skimmer that may be removing some elements that I am not replacing. I plan to add additional corals including a frogspawn and brian coral. Can you please advise on which elements that should be added to my reef. Thanks

flower

Frequent water changes will replenish the elements. Do your water tests..IF it says you are low, consider then how to bring it to the right level. You can't just dump chemicals into the tank...some FS will tell you once each momnth..don't do that.

lil.guppy

I agree with Flower on the frequent water changes...
Have you thought about using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals? It has goodies in it already
I dont add anything to my reef tanks just food

cmonti

I do use instant ocean reef but I don't do water changes enough. Thanks for the advice. Mixing up a batch now...

lil.guppy

Here is something else
Get a 5 gallon bucket and a good size cheap powerhead like penguin or maxi jet that produce heat in small spaces
Mix your water up and put the powerhead in there. Leave it running over night with the lid on just slightly and the heat from the powerhead will act like a heater, heat the water and really help mix it. I do this for my water changes. :) Help avoid salinity spikes later

J

jstdv8

Water changes will defintaley be sufficient when you don't have a ton of corals.
Keep in mind if you ever get crazy into corals that the corals are eating those trace elements, calcium, magnesium ect. so if you have a tank filled with hard corals you will likley have to dose even with frequent water changes unless your water changes are huge.
So, while you are building your reef and getting more and more into it over time jsut keep and eye on your calcium first and foremost and also your magnesium and Alkalinity.
These will tell you when its time to start doseing if you decide to really pack your tank.

pauloesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonti http:///forum/thread/381793/maintaining-a-reef#post_3327977
[snip] I also have a protein skimmer that may be removing some elements that I am not replacing. I plan to add additional corals including a frogspawn and brian coral. Can you please advise on which elements that should be added to my reef. Thanks
The skimmer really doesn't remove trace elements (or at least not anymore than it removes saltwater). Foam Fractionators (skimmers) use the surface tension of the SW and the fact that larger protein molecules and other "volatile organics" adher nicely to the bubbles. So, by collecting the foam, you can remove a high concentration of proteins (before they breakdown into Nitrous- and Phosphorous-compounds) relative to SW. Think of skimming as tiny water changes, except mostly you are taking out foamy SW and replacing it with FW (and you thought you were just making up for evaporation, not evaporation and skimming!)
Any synthetic salt mix for SW aquariums has a good combo of trace elements these days (not as true years ago) -- there's been a number of chemists who've tested the brands and have found they're all pretty much the same these days.
And exactly as JSTDV said, unless you have corals, you won't need trace elements at all.
I wouldn't even worry about magnesium -- just periodically do your water changes and at least weekly check your pH, Alkalinity (and Calcium, if you're trying to grow out your pink/red coralline) and use a 2-part doser if pH/Alk aren't where they're supposed to be. Using a 2-part doser will keep the Calcium/Magnesium and Carbonates in the right balance between water changes.