Maintaining FOWLR tank

debster

I have a 72G bowfront freshwater tank now and I do bi-weekly water changes and vacuum the gravel. When I convert to saltwater (dsb) will I still need to vacuum the bottom or is the only maintance the water changes? Also, with respect to the water changes, I have very hard water. How much work is involved in making my water softer and adding the salt?
Thanks for any info.
Debi =)

birdy

If you are putting in a DSB, you do not want to vacume the sand, one of the many benifits of a dsb. About the water, I would recommend using RODI, you will have a lot less problems with nusiance algae and when you put the salt mix in the water it usually gives you the proper ph, alk, ca.

mr_bubbles

Iin a perfect world,
EVERYWEEK
Remove excess algea
Clean Glass, inside and out
Test water (once your tank has matured)
Check skimmer
EVERY OTHER WEEK
Clean filters
20-33% water change
MONTHLY
Full filter overhaul
Replace airstones
Remove all salt creep
EVERY 3 MONTHS
Check all systems
Have LFS run a full water test (Most of the time for free.)
Some of these things can be pushed back for longer peiods of time and some cant. Its really up to you.

debster

I was told I didn't need a skimmer. My tank was only going to have 4 powerheads, LR and LS. Should I add a skimmer? Do you suggest I add anything else? Also I would like to make my water changes as easy as possible and if getting an RO will make it easier than I'll go and buy one.
Thanks for any more advice =)

birdy

You do not have to have a skimmer, they help a lot though, and you will probably want to get one eventually. You also do not have to buy an RO unit. You should be able to buy RO water at your LFS or Wal Mart, or you can buy distilled. If you do buy a RO
unit keep in mind they also require maintanance, you have to replace filters and flush the unit. Sometimes I wish I would have just bought my water and not the RO unit

FOR A FOWLR, A SKIMMER IS ALMOST A MUST AND YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE WATER AND TRY TO SUCK OUT THE LARGE DEBERIS ON THE TOP. ITS SORTA LIKE VACUUMING AND HAS THE SAME CONCEPT, WHICH IS TO TAKE OUT ALL THE LARGE DEBERIS. IF YOU DONT, YOU WILL HAVE HIGH NITRATES AND NITRITES. TO ME, YOU SHOULD SIPHON OUT THE DIRTY STUFF ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR TANK.

debster

I thought if I had a dsb I shouldn't stir the sand. My assumption, was that I wouldn't have to clean (vacuum, siphon, etc. ) the sand at all, and the bottom feeders that I get will take care of any waste. Am I wrong here? Thanks for any clarification =)

birdy

Yes your cleanup crew should take care of the sand bed. The sand should not be stirred. The only time I have siphoned the top of the sandbed was when i was trying to get rid of some nusiance algae.