MAJANO? lol, please say no...

mlwoods007

Ok, i am finding these little punks everywhere these days. I just Joe Juiced them the other day and already see maybe 10. From the pics in other posts, it was too hard for me to tell if they are Majano or not. They are mostly flat against the rocks too, unlike the pics i saw where they had trunks. I also read that Maj's will retreat like aptasia into the rock when you mess with them, whereas zoos will polyp up. These are too small for me to be able to tell my that method yet, so I figured I'd ask the group. What do you guys think?

mlwoods007

i know that the middle one is an aptasia, but i'm wondering about the outside two.
Also, what type of tang is that? (came with my tank)

zeroc

oh and the tang looks like a scopas tang maybe a naso. a better picture would be needed to confirm.

mlwoods007

thanks. That's what i figured, was just trying to be optomistic. What's the best way to rid my tank of them? Keep dosing with Joe's Juice everytime i see one? I'm assuming that there's no type of fish/invert that will eat them, and only them, right?

zeroc

keep with the joe's juice, the second you see one take care of it, luckily they're no where near as aggressive as aipstia so they won't spread very fast. Any aggressive corals would probably take them out.
What size tank is it? because that tang needs a good sized tank. Scopas atleast a 75 and naso are suggested atleast 125.

zeroc

They can be tiny and still reproduce, they split, and takes very little time to do so. sometimes they'll get into flow and detach and free float and land somewhere and make there it's new home.

whitey_028

yes they are bad i jsut spent 6 hours last night manually removing them:( after they had reproduced soo much in one month to kill almost $1000 worth of coral and really

[hr]
up my water balance... Yes i was lazy for a month and thats something in this hobby you just cant be:(

zeroc

has anyone had any near aggressive corals that sting? Like a frog spawn or hammer? I'd think they're probably kick the majano's butt.

whitey_028

i did and the mojano wins:( bagoda cups and frogspan and all:( Allthough my shrooms made it? $6 shrroms and a 60 dollar cup hmm sucks

mlwoods007

lol, I'm leaving for Vegas in the morning and looks like I'll now be demajanoing for a good couple hours before I pact tonight. Funny thing is I prob won't get them all (low on Joe's) so I'm looking forward to doing it all over again when I get back. wish me luck...

whitey_028

yeah i thought they would look pretty if they spread so i left them not thinking of the consequences... luckily i still have half my coral to propogate again... good luck on the removal process... i ended up taking rock by rock over a period of about a month out of my tank that was infested and letting them dry out and about a month later i pulled the last 4 rocks last nite...

mlwoods007

Originally Posted by whitey_028
yeah i thought they would look pretty if they spread so i left them not thinking of the consequences... luckily i still have half my coral to propogate again... good luck on the removal process... i ended up taking rock by rock over a period of about a month out of my tank that was infested and letting them dry out and about a month later i pulled the last 4 rocks last nite...
lol, that's not even an option for me. I will manually fight them week by week if it comes down too it. I have way too much corraline on my rock, not to mention too much rock in general, for me to go that route.
Has anyone ever completely erradicated them from their DT manually w/Joe's Juice before?

mlwoods007

well I "juiced" every aptasia and manajo I saw as soon as i got home earlier. It was actually kind of fun doing so. Lol, in a weird way, it felt like i was getting payback for all the fish trouble i've been having lately. Well, as of right now there are none. Even after I dosed the last one, I still scanned the tank for a good 25mins looking for others, before I called it quits. I can only hope and pray they are gone for good. Lol, if only i could be so fortunate? I'll keep ya posted...