Majestic and dwarf angel in a 120?????

tat2d

Hi all!
Trying to finish stocking my 120 (4'x2'x2') , and I keep coming back to either a flame angel or a Flame-back. Both are dwarf. I have a 4-5 inch majestic in the tank already. What are the chances I'll have problems? I don't want to remove 200+lbs of LR to get a fish out. I've seen lots of pics with large angels housed with dwarfs, even multiple large angels in the same tank, I just want some opinions.
Thanks,
Bobby

joojoo

its hit or miss, all fish are different
go with the flame, they seem to be the more aggressive of thw dwarves

emperor11

Originally Posted by Tat2d
Hi all!
Trying to finish stocking my 120 (4'x2'x2') , and I keep coming back to either a flame angel or a Flame-back. Both are dwarf. I have a 4-5 inch majestic in the tank already. What are the chances I'll have problems? I don't want to remove 200+lbs of LR to get a fish out. I've seen lots of pics with large angels housed with dwarfs, even multiple large angels in the same tank, I just want some opinions.
Thanks,
Bobby
It should be fine. Generally, large angels (especially the more peaceful ones, such as the majestic) are fine with dwarf angels. I recommend the flameback as a good choice, and definetly not the flame. As stated, the flame is one of the most aggressive dwarfs and would stress the Majestic out far too much. Plus, the flameback is almost always reef-safe, as where with the flame, its hit or miss.

joojoo

all large angels are known to have temperments, a more aggressive dwarf would stand a better chance imo

emperor11

Originally Posted by joojoo
all large angels are known to have temperments, a more aggressive dwarf would stand a better chance imo
I'm sorry, I normally agree with you. But, based on my experience with large angels, their temperaments vary a LOT..from extremely shy (you almost never see them), to friendly, to EVIL. Its all about the species. A more aggressive dwarf could easily kill a Majestic Angel, IMO.

connor

Originally Posted by Emperor11
I'm sorry, I normally agree with you. But, based on my experience with large angels, their temperaments vary a LOT..from extremely shy (you almost never see them), to friendly, to EVIL. Its all about the species. A more aggressive dwarf could easily kill a Majestic Angel, IMO.

i highly doubt that an agressive dwarf angel could kill a majestic the one that i had was a

[hr]

120reefer

Originally Posted by connor

i highly doubt that an agressive dwarf angel could kill a majestic the one that i had was a

[hr]
LOL, Emp didn't mean kill as in eat or something, he meant the dwarf would constantly chase and nip and bother the majestic and stress him out so much that in a short while would most likely be susceptable to disease, and then die from that. It's not that hard to stress out an angel... especially in a 4 foot tank... not to pick another fight Emp.

joojoo

i honestly have no experience with large angels, so you may be right
i've just always heard how large angels are more likely to do the nit picking

tat2d

Still don't know........ I may do a tang instead. Way less chance of problems, and a tang would probably be out in the open more than a dwarf angel would. Love the Juvi chevron tang, but don't care for the adult coloration. Oh well. I'll keep looking and reading.
I'm open to suggestions........ inhabitants are: The majestic, a 4-5 inch copperband, 1-2 inch false perc clownfish, 2 firefish, a 1-2 inch golden or banana wrasse???? and 2 skunk cleaners, 2 peppermints, and all the usual snails and hermits.
120 disp. with well over 200 lbs lr, 3 inches of livesand and 40 gal sump, so not worried about bio-load yet.
whaddya think?
thanks,
Bobby

120reefer

Originally Posted by Tat2d
120 disp. with well over 200 lbs lr, 3 inches of livesand and 40 gal sump, so not worried about bio-load yet.
whaddya think?
Bobby
Sounds like a good set-up to me anyways...
I have almost the same thing, its a 120long (60x18x27) 200lbs LR, 100lbs. LS (2inch bed), 30 gal sump/fuge set-up w/skimmer. What do you think about the purple tangs? They're a beautiful, yet hardier tang IMO, and should do alright with your livestock...... if you wanna do a tang

tat2d

I do like tangs, I, just want to do something a little more out of the ordinary. That's why the chevron was so appealing (till I saw the adult colors). The angel thing seems like it could be fine, or a HUGE problem, so I'm thinkin' that's out :mad: I have a couple of other small fish to add before the last big one, so I'll keep researching. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks,
Bobby