major Algae promblem

soo high

i was over seas in london for 2 months, and when i arrived home yesterday, my tank is green Algae invested. Over 75% of my live rock is cover in this gleen algae (100 pounds of rock)the guy that was taking care of my tank only fed my fish and added water.
what to do?
set up
160 gallon tank
100 pounds of live rock
150 wet dry system
fish that is still alive

2 maroon clowns
1 trigger
1 Humu Humu
1 vermiculated angelfish
1 yellow tang
dead fish

lion fish
flame angel
yellow tang
tank ben up for 13 months
how can i get all the algea off my rocks?

hardcrab67

If its the green slime algae that on the rock, I would mix some fresh SW up and wash the rocks off. You've been up and running for over a year, but have you checked your Phosphates? Did your friend use the right water(R/O) to top-off w/. You could have a build up(PO4) from lack of water changes. Just some thoughts.

soo high

is there any other ways beside taking all the rocks out and cleaning them, how about some kind of chemical.

ruaround

do as instructed above... water changes with RO water and manually remove the algea...
how old are your light bulbs???

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by ruaround
how old are your light bulbs???
Good point, didn't think about that.
I stay away from "Quick Fix" chemicals(except for Prime). I had a little red slime algae, even though they make a "remover" I went w/ the suggestion of cutting back the daylights to 8 hrs and adjusting the flow. In a couple of weeks, my Pagoda Cup coral is almost rid of it.

soo high

ok thank's guys i guess alot of work is to be in progress to get this tank back to it's beutiful way :happyfish o yea how about 50 aglae eating snail coundnt that help a little bit?

el_bobbo

yeah i have the same problem.
i purchased a new t-5 light and withing 2 days i had algea ALL over the place. i have did a 10% water change yesterday and i am hoping that maybe a 2nd in a day or 2 will help.
it's all over everything. i leave my light on all day because i am at work
maybe i'll invest in 2 timers. the lights (2x10,000k, 2x 460nm) all 4 are 54watts. they are on from 8am to midnight (way too much light) daily because of my work schedule. maybe i'll cut them back to normal daylight until i get home, then put on the tank lights till around midnight.
think it'll help?
bobby