major green algae, what do i do?

obrut

I didn't know there was a bulltin board reef tanks, i a member at the Turbobuick board and i happened to find this one. This is great, as you can see i just joined, and i'm glade to be here. The problem that i'm having is that i have this green algae growing in my tank and i can't get ride of it. It's not really hair algae but it looks more like a planet. If i pull it off the rock it grows back in a week. What can i do to remove it for good. BTW it so bad i can't even see my live rock anymore, please help.

drillbit

Can you tell us more about your system?
What are you nitrate/phosphate readings?
Do you use RO water or water from the tap?
Skimmer/filtration?
You might also include tank size, inhabitants, and how long the tank has been set up.

y2j

Make sure your cleanup crew is out in heavy force. Keep something in to help stir the sand/crushed coral, which ever you may have.

obrut

well i just pulled off as much of the green stuff that i could, then i cleaned my cyclone back pack and filter. Then i put a phosphate(sp) remover in the filter. I also went and got 15 gallons of RO water and mixed up some salt so i can do a water change in a few days. I have 29 gallon tank with 40 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of live sand, one backpack, powerhead and filter and power compack lights. I have one clown fish, hawk, damsel, and a royal grommie. The only corals i have are some polips, and one coral that is red and branchy (i have no idea). The thing is, the red coral double in size in about three months and i don't add anything to the tank accept water changes, everything else looks super healthy and i never have any problems except that green stuff that grows all over everything.
I called a pet shop (Scotts) and the guy told me that if its this certain type of algea then there is nothing i can do because it grows from the rock?!? He told me to get a Kole tang because it will eat a lot of it.
P.S. i ordered 20 turbo snail and 15 crabs from reef keepers and almost all of them died, so i ordered more and most of them died again. One thing that i did notice is that there are about a billion white star fish and baby turbo snails in my tank.
Sorry such a long post and thanks for all the help.

the rock

the rock says...
buy a "Keep it clean package" from this site, let the inverts do their job, you will be happy you did