Major Salt Problem!

skeetrix

Hi!
I've had my tank up for a while now, and I seem to have everything under control, except for one problem, SALT BUILDUP! I'm not sure what im doing wrong but there is always a ton of salt that has concentrated on the tank covers and around the filter and where I have cut wholes for various pieces of equip. I usually just brush the pieces of salt off, but its starting to worry me that it might be bad for my fishes, not to mention it centainly isn;t a joy wiping off crusty salt all the time.
Any solutions or helpful tips??
Thanks!
Skeetrix

starkissed

I have the same problem too... it condenses on my light and runs down the glass and is ruining my stand... Don't worry your not alone in this problem.... but like you I would like to know if this is normal

trainfever

It is called salt creep and yes it is normal, especially if you have some sort of airstone in your tank. If you have an airstone, remove it. You really just want a powerhead to break the water surface.

laredo300c

i have that same problem...i think i read somewhere that my plastic hood was bad for saltwater because of salt buildup and that problem would not happen as often if a wood hood was used...not sure how accurate that info is but i do remember seeing it somewhere....or maybe it was the owner of my lfs........

oceanists

Salt creep can also be from evaporation , dont let that salt get back in your tank or it may kill your fish

addicted2

why would that salt kill the fish??? I am curious..I have that salt creep too, and like the others...I put it back in my tank.

skeetrix

Wow, i,m glad i'm not the only one with this salt creep problem, anyone ahd experience with it and know how it can be fixed/prevented??

puffer24/7

a regular whipe down will stop it use freshwater when wiping of course, i have very little if any salt creep on my 140

zsalinas

From what I've read on this forum. The salt creep collects dust and other debris floating around in the air. If you push the salt back into the tank you're pushing all the other stuff too. If you've cleaned around the tank with any spray chemicals that also could've got on the salt creep and you'd be pushing that back into the tank also. Hope this helps.

tim_12

Originally Posted by laredo300c
i have that same problem...i think i read somewhere that my plastic hood was bad for saltwater because of salt buildup and that problem would not happen as often if a wood hood was used...not sure how accurate that info is but i do remember seeing it somewhere....or maybe it was the owner of my lfs........
Having a cover on on your tank will reduce the gas exchange. I kept a cover on my tank for a while because a lot less water evaporated. But the water that did evaporate left salt everywhere. Since I've tanken it off, I've had no salt build up at all.

houndhome1

Most Tanks Will Have It. Depends On Your Enviroments Humidity Levels. In The Winter The Air Is Dry So There Is More Evaporation. But Don't Let Anything Fall Into The Tank. If A Fish Eats It Thinking It's Food. It Will Burn The Stomach And Fins Are Could Cause Death.

oceanists

Originally Posted by addicted2
why would that salt kill the fish??? I am curious..I have that salt creep too, and like the others...I put it back in my tank.

Salt creep will cause ammonia spikes , and also the concentrated salt can sky rocket your salt level , not to mention if it lands on the snail your snails will die instantly , if it lands next to a shrimp it could die , if you clean your tank glass with chmicals , it could also creep into the salt not to mention dust , also if you use aresol in your home our cologne and perfume , even smoke ...... these are all toxic to your fish . the worst thing you could do is this brush it in your tank , if you really care about the specimens you are keeping. Basically its common sense IMO