Make your own SEA WATER

joesalmi

Hey guys was looking around and found this.
Some one tell me if this realy works.
The Recipes:
If you want to fill your bathtub (40 gallons or 150 liters of water, your bathtub may vary), add
13 cups (3.12 liters) of salt,
4 cups (0.96 liters) of epsom salt,
1/3 cup (80 milliliters) of salt substitute,
and 5 teaspoons (25 milliliters) of baking soda.
For a 5-gallon (19 liters) batch of homemade sea water, add
1 and 2/3 cups (0.4 liters) of salt,
1/2 cup (120 milliliters) of epsom salt,
2 and 1/4 teaspoons (11 milliliters) of salt substitute,
and 2/3 teaspoons (3.3 milliliters) of baking soda.
If you'd like to make a pint (0.48 liters), add
2 teaspoons (9 milliliters) of salt,
2/3 teaspoons (3.3 milliliters) of epsom salt,
1/20 teaspoons (0.25 milliliters) of salt substitute,
and 1/62 teaspoons (0.08 milliliters) of baking soda.
Since the measurements in the pint version are ridiculously small, it would probably be easier to make larger batches of the stuff, and use a pint at a time. In general, and regardless of the measuring system or total amount required, you need
6,000 parts tap water,
125 parts salt,
38 parts epsom salt,
3 parts salt substitute,
1 part baking soda.
If you'd like, you can mix up large amounts of the dry ingredients, in the above proportions, and then scoop out 167 parts of the mixture to every six thousand parts water. For every gallon of water, you'd add a little more than 7 tablespoons of the dry mix (for every liter, add 28 milliliters of the mix). For the pint-sized mixture, add a shade more than 2 and a half teaspoons of dry ingredients.
Once a reliable resource on the ingredients of the Dead Sea can be found, 'recipes' for that will be published here, as well.
Reader Comments

murph145

thats kinda scary lol i duno if id ever try makin my own sea water from scratch ill just buy the salt in a bucket and use my RO/DI water id never use tap water

lion_crazz

I don't think anyone in their right mind does this, but I could be wrong.
However, I would never attempt it, as I have too much invested in my system. Plus, I think it is easier just to buy my 200 gallon Oceanic salt mix for $40.

joesalmi

I think I will try it and see if it works. I will go buy a 10 gallon and set it up to see if it will work

promisetbg

You are joking right? "6,000 parts tap water," This right here tells me that whoever wrote this has no clue whatsoever. What about all the other trace elements? No thanks..I will leave it up to my good friends at Tropic Marin!

chipmaker

Somehow I just do not see any benefit to the homne brew salt water myself. Commercially available water is just too cheap and easy to aquire, and thats not to mention quick to make.....I just have too many other thngs to do that making this concoction would take away from. Just do not see where it woul dbe economical or any provide any other reasonable use.

turningtim

Very similar to what I used to mix up for my African Cichlids, I used a lot less salts. But I would never try this with sea critters. To many things are missing that we as hobbists just can't get our hands on. Some sea salts have 70 trace elements in them.

moneyman

Originally Posted by JoeSalmi
6,000 parts tap water,
125 parts salt,
38 parts epsom salt,
3 parts salt substitute,
1 part baking soda.
Reader Comments
Sounds fishy

1) Tap water? Hard of soft tap water? That must be where all the trace minerals are.. prob not in the same concentration. Dont forget to declorinate it.
2) 125 parts salt? Like Instant ocean?
3) 3 parts salt substitute? Like petersalt? Morton salt?
This recipe is too general ...
But, this might not be to make homebrew salt. Are you just boosting/dosing low-end salt?

Good luck ... :thinking:

mythrenody

Remember,This is probably an old recipe from the old school days back in the 50's or something when there wasnt any companies around to make salt and probably didnt know that tap water was so bad. I would just replace the tap water with RO/DI water. But since there's companies making salt,this recipe is useless,Who knows,one day we may have to make our own salt

agent707

Originally Posted by JoeSalmi
Once a reliable resource on the ingredients of the Dead Sea can be found, 'recipes' for that will be published here, as well.
This sounds close enough to the Dead Sea if you ask me...

I agree with who said this was probably writen back when there wasn't ready mix salt commercially available.
Buying a 10 gallon tank to "test" this is a complete utter waste of time and money.
Go mow an elderly persons yard instead.. much better use of your time. ***)

moneyman

Originally Posted by fighting0
In the bathtub? What about soap residues that might be left over????
No thanks... lol
Oh yeah....
Oh and dont forget ... Dont mix your salt overnight unless everything that touches the water is of high quality stainless steel or titanium.