Makeshift fuge

sagxman

I'm thinking of getting rid of my mechanical filtration on my 20L.
I have been running a Skilter HOB for about 3 years. It's starting to wear out though in regards to the skimmer portion. Worked great when it was new.
What do you think about taking out the filter media, disabling the skimmer and adding LR and LS to act as a HOB fuge? I would of course add a real HOB skimmer. Should I also place some sort of light on the "fuge"? Maybe one of those Azoo palm lights?
Also will the intake and output of water cause any problems with the sandbed and anything else in the fuge?

sagxman

It's a Skilter 400. I didn't even think about the baffle and using the filter pad before the baffle. That should work very nicely.

mythrenody

My fuge light broke and I just cut a 1g milk jug in half and put the algea in it so it wont die on me until i get lights next week

X

xrobbx03

that link is awesome i have an extra aquaclear 20 that i used on my 10 i think im going to do the same thing and get my cheato out of the main display.

reefdude37

Originally Posted by xrobbx03
that link is awesome i have an extra aquaclear 20 that i used on my 10 i think im going to do the same thing and get my cheato out of the main display.
Glad its helping people out :joy:

keithinjax

I purchased a do-it-yourself refugium kit off e-bay for 24.99. Picture below.... 12w x 16h x 4.5d and is working out pretty good. Does not include light or pump. You can get 11" odyessa marine light and rio200 pump and it will have good flow. Seems to be working good for me!
Keith

reefdude37

Originally Posted by Keithinjax
I purchased a do-it-yourself refugium kit off e-bay for 24.99. Picture below.... 12w x 16h x 4.5d and is working out pretty good. Does not include light or pump. You can get 11" odyessa marine light and rio200 pump and it will have good flow. Seems to be working good for me!
Keith
NICE