Making a reflector for my reef lights... what shape should it be?

mikegray

hey guys i have a 14" canopy over my 125 and have a place that makes reflectors for my lights right next to my work. i found out hehe.
should i just put a full piece on the top of my canopy.
should i cover the top and the back since it only goes down about 5" and the front like 2"
or should i put it on the top and bend the sides at like a 30* angle or something?
or should i cover the entire inside of my canopy in reflector material?

photo guy

Based on the design used in photographic reflectors it makes sense to have them be convex and close to the light source so the light is directed where you want it. If you lined the canopy with the reflective material you would get a broader light effect. Either way you have the same amount of light but EFFECTIVALY you would have less light by not having the reflector close to the light. By lining the hood with the reflective material a lot of light will just be bouncing around in the hood and NOT getting deep in the water.
If the place that makes the reflectors is cheep enough you could do both. The surface of the water WILL reflect some of the light regardless. Just like on a bright sunny day. Having the reflective material lining the hood in ADDITION to a traditional design would yield the most effective use of your lights.
Has anyone here painted the inside of their hood white to cut down on light loss?
Hope this helps,
Keith

reefnut

Here's a pic of mine... I covered the entire thing and brought the reflector all the way down in the back and partially down in the front.
Looks like this

photo guy

Looks good reefnut.
Mike,
Flat ontop isn't good. Lots of wasted light that way. I was thinking "U" shaped sp the light is inside the "U" and pointing toward the water. The bulb needs to be pretty clase to the reflector though.
Keith

mikegray

well i guess its better than nothing.. i cant have a U it will take up soo much room. and if its close to the bulb. ill just make sure its on a reflector like people do.