making a sump????

erhodejr

I am looking into building a sump system for my tank, I have no problem building it but I dont know how, I know how to build the overflow and pump back to the main tank. but I dont know what to put into the sump itself, I was going to use a 20 long tank as the sump for my 40, :help: but what do I put into the sump for it to work properly, I would also like to install or build a skimmer in it as well.

thegrog

A pure sump contains the skimmer, heater/chiller so you don't take up room in your display tank with these seemingly unsightly things.
A refugium contains live rock and macro algae to act as a biological filter to remove waste products from the water as well as provide a safe haven for pods and other micro-inverts.
Many (myself included) design a hybrid sump/refugium that not only contains the equipment but a chamber for a deep sand bed, live rock and macro algae. There is a seperate chamber for the skimmer and another for the return pump.
Do a search as there are tons of design on the board to choose from.

acrylic51

Yeah you can check out melevsreef.com and get tons of good ideas and building tips!!!!! Well worth the visit to the site