Making a sump

aquanovice

I have had my tank up for 7 years, the first 5 were f/w and the last 2 salt. I am now to a point where i would like to get all the nasty fliter pickups, heaters and hang on skimmers off the tank. I have 55-60 lbs of live rock, 7 turbo snails, a handful of hermits, two clowns, a puesdochromis, banded coral shrimp and a brittle star in the tank now ( sold eveything else). Within the next 2 months i wan to start introducing coral into the tank. How large of a sump (ie-gals???) should i go. Also i need an in sump protien skimmer amd have looked an the Kent Natilus Te. has any oune used this skimmer. any pros or cons would be welcomed

mrmaroon

Maybe I missed it, but what size is your tank? If it is only a 55g, you will have a hard time fitting much more than a 10g in the stand. That is what I have. It works fine, but it will be a litle cramped. If you could I would shoot fot 20-30g.

aquanovice

i'm sorry i forgot, Yes it is a 55gal. i have found a 30 long that will fit but was uncertain if that might be too big

mrmaroon

How wide is your 30 long. I would love to find a 30 Long to replace my 10g. I only have 10'' of width to work with though. I would go with the 30 long so that you have room for you skimmer, a heater, maybe a wet/dry if you want. I run a wet/dry, DSB, skiimer, and LR. Many will argue that you don't need a wet/dry, but I have pristine water, so I am going to keep using it!