Making a top speed run in my Corvette

black99l

be careful first of all. it will only take one mistake at that speed. I was in the process of planning a top speed run on my friends highly moddified R1 (he had it to 193). I found the road i wanted to make the trip at, it was 8 miles (i was hoping that was enough). i started by going over the road to find any uneven spots in the pavement. there were no turn offs. I was planning on three or four spotters, everyone with cameras. but what really worried me more than anything was animals that could run out in front of you. there was nothing anyone can do to prevent that. my run never took place unfortunatly. but the road is still there for future use...

nicky1.8t

i was on my bike last night and hit some road kill i was only going about 50 and it wasent very fun. i can only imagine what it would be like at 100+

D

daniel411

Originally posted by nicky1.8t
i was on my bike last night and hit some road kill i was only going about 50 and it wasent very fun. i can only imagine what it would be like at 100+

Are you/the bike, alright? Have you seen the video clip of the bike splitting a dear in half that jumped onto the track at Road America... man that would be freaky

D

daniel411

Originally posted by nicky1.8t
im fine the bike is fine . it just put me into a small tank slapper. but it was most deffently not cool

Do you have a damper and the 954 recall fix? Glad everything was okay, a tank slappers are nothing to joke about.

nicky1.8t

no dampner. i need to get one though i have been tinkering around with 2nd gear stand ups and i have read if you dont come down strait it wobbles bad.

black99l

Tank slappers SUCK!! i had a couple of those myself.
i saw that video of the guy splitting the dear. that had to suck.

black99l

when you hit a bump in the road and it kicks you into the gas tank. i swore after the first time it happened to me i was going to wear a cup :yes:

D

daniel411

Originally posted by joerdie
WHATS A TANK SLAPPER?
sorry for the caps

Basically the front tire wobbles violently back and forth, like the handle bars are "slapping" the "tank" back and forth on each side. You lose complete control of steering and well... its freaky but usually saveable.

black99l

we call that the "death wobble".
I had a video of me doing a top speed run in my lightning, but my computer crashed and i lost it.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by joerdie
dude! that would get me off of a bike in two seconds flat! im not much of an adrenaline junkie but...

If its not saved, it will buck you in about two seconds flat!
http://www.joe4speed.com/video.htm
Bottom of the page, theres a tank slap video...the rest of the videos blow.

sbsb

Originally posted by TangMan99
I'm not sure, but I think they are both rated at 175 mph top end. The Z06 is actually rated slower at 171 mph because it has a 6 speed with different gearing to help in the acceleration side. The final drive ratio is lower than the regular 6 speed.
The ZO6 also has a lower top end because of the rear roof design and the open fog light panels. This creates more drag as opposed to the coupe with the closed fog light panels and teardrop rear hatch.

jasontk

I would be more worried about animals than anything else (sounds like everything else about the road is fine). I've had some deer run out in front of my on the same road I went for a top speed run on. I won't be doing that again, that's for sure!
My car is not exactly anything quick anyway. But I will school any car on this thread in the corners
And it only cost me ~$20k

tangman99

Nice Z saltfisher. This is my friends car who heads up all the Corvette activities in our area. I was not with him, but another friend of mine said he made a top end run of 205 mph before letting off. It has a lot of toys installed.