Making fish only tanks "alive"

lytic

Right now I have a 55 gallon fish only tank. I am exploring ways to make the tank look more "alive". I have 5 fish (four of which are very active and friendly).
For filtration I have a very nice protien skimmer (good for up to around 125 gallons), an external duel penguin filter with the bio wheel and activated carbon. I have an undergravel filter powered by two powerheads. I also have around 60 lbs of live rock. My oxygen lvls are pretty good, but my lighting sucks (only the standard 55 gallon cheapy hood). Also, to help the algae levels I have 3 snails (that clean house on all algea) and 3 small crabs.
The fish I have in the tank are 2 clowns (one male and one female), a foxfaced rabbit fish, a semi circle koran, and a lazy dwarf lionfish (he likes to just chill hidden by the rocks, grrr).
I am looking into getting some critters or plants to make the tank look more alive and friendly. I was thinking of stocking the tank up with some feather dusters, but was told that the semi circle may take to them too well and munch em all up. Anyone had any experience with that, or anyone know of any non-photosythetic plants that I could put in to make it look cooler.
Right now i dont have 300-500 bucks for some nice lighting. And even more importantly, im going to be graduating school soon, and will prolly be moving, so i dont want to put TOO much money in this smaller tank because i plan on doing a MAJOR upgrade when i get in a more permanent house.
So, anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to make my little underwater paradise a bit more alive. I was hoping there were some hardy anemones or plants (non coral) that can do with basic lighting. Or some cool non-photosytetic plants that wont get munched by my koran.
Any advice, great ones?

gobylover

Hello.I'm not big on plants so I have no idea about them.But I would suggest an arrow crab.They are very cool to watch and mine at least got a pretty nice size!! :D

jacrmill

you could always get some inverts. maybe a crab, or some shrimp or something. you could even add another fish.
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: jacrmill ]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, what are your nitrate levels and how long have you had this tank up and running? What skimmer are you using?

lytic

I have had the tank running for about 8 months. I cycled with chemicals then added live rock after about a month and left it run that way for about two more months. I added a small perc clown after the third month, and there wasnt even really any spike by that time.
I now have about 11 inches of fish (3 dwarf lion, 1 clown, 2 clown, 3 foxface, 2 semi circle). Im prolly gonna keep it that way for a while (i *may* add one more fish eventually). I am kinda paranoid about overcrowding though.
Im more interested in non fish solutions.
The protien skimmer im not exactly sure of the exact brand name. If price matters (it really doesnt, but it will give ya an idea), i payed 300 bucks for it from a dealer that gives pretty good deals on everything, so its a fairly nice skimmer for my tank.
Overall, fish seem to thrive in my tank. I havent lost one in 8 months from the store to my tank, so so far so good.
Does anyone keep korans with feather dusters safely?