making my own LR

dieselndix

So I have a bag of Portland I/II cement. Some Play sand from home deopt (quickrete brand) and a bag of rock salt (just for texture)
am I ready to give this a shot?
I have read alot...mix the cement with some sand, and a little bit of rock salt on the exterior...make a mold in my tub of wet sand, and pour...
am I missing much?
anyone ever done it with rock salt...I figure it will leave little holes when the salt melts away during curing.

chris57

its better to use aquarium compattable sand like crushed coral or aruba shell but 5 parts crushed oyster shell +1 part concrete makes the best combination if you want to have benifical bacteria colonies this recipe will give you roch that you can litterally run water through but cure it slow only use fresh water ,baking soda and keept the water aerated and flowing when it stays at fresh water ph for several day then you can put in in salt water but monitor it even when you put it in salt water no mater what type of concrete type live rock you use.

sleasia

chris 57 where do you get oyster shells? can you mix a combo of crushed coral and oyste shells? or is it better to stick with oyster shells alone???

big_money

I purchased crushed oyster shells at a local feed store. I think I heard that it is a supplement they feed to chickens. I got 25lbs for about $4.