making sump/fuge out 2 10g's

chosen1608

Anyone had any experience in making a sump/fuge out of 2 10g aquariums. I'd like to use a 20g for my 55g MT but I can't get a 20 long under my stand b/c of the main brace in the center. I know you can brace it and take it out, but I already have 2 10g and thought I could use those instead. Can some one help me with the design (ie how do you connect the two together and where to put the baffles)
Thanks in advance, Chasen

squidd

Drill the end panels of both tanks and connect with a bulkhead for gravity drain fron fuge to return pump chamber...about a 1 1/2" bulkhead will work..
Place baffle(s) between overflow/skimmer chamber and return pump chamber in one tank and use the other for the fuge...

chosen1608

thanks squidd...I knew if I waited long enough you would reply. I got some more questions though...could you tell me where and how high/low I should place the baffles. Also, do i not need baffles for the fuge? One other thing, how low from the top should I place the bulkheads? Thanks for your help!

squidd

Lot of that depends on you equipment, but in general follow the pic above....
Starting with the bulkhead...go as high as you can to maximize water level in fuge, but leave room for gasket and lock ring to turn below top frame of tank...on a 10 you could "probably" get by with a 1" bulkhead, but you'll have to be more careful of snails and macros "clogging" the pipe...
Baffle on skimmerside is as high as you can get, within the opperating range (depth) of your skimer...and/or you can set skimmer on "shelf" to gain a bit more, but then you need to acount for head room to bottom of tank/top of stand...
No baffles needed "in" the fuge, but either a "steped" water ledge as shown or add an elbow down and pipe extention to minimize bubbles from fuge "waterfall" into return pump chamber...

jamesthero

would you use a ball valve to ajust water going to the sump? if not seems like water will fill up like the fuge.