making sump undrilled tank?

kmart189

Has anyone done this before I currently have a 150 fowlr. I am running a rena xp3 canister filter with a crappy protein skimmer. I have been thinking of turning my 30 gallon tank into a sump, but the tank already has water and inhabitants so drilling would be a pain. Has anyone done this without using a drilled tank? I don't really understand everything about a sump I get the basics of the bottom part that most start off with the fuge then they go to the skimmer then filter then return, but nobody seems to show pictures of the upper portion with the inlet and outlet for flow. What would you guys do?

maryg

Get an overflow box. Mine came with my 55g. It can be noisy but I hear there are some that run quieter. Since you already have a tank to use as a sump/fuge then all you need is the overflow and the return pump and lines.

kmart189

thanks Mary G very helpful I could just about just go buy the overflow and use my canister hoses. If I ever drain it I will probably drill it, but this is what I wanted perfect!

ilovemytank

Originally Posted by kmart189
http:///forum/post/2914443
okay now that I get that is it possible to drill a tank w/o draining it completely?
You don't have to drain a tank to drill it but you must plan it out completely before you start.
1st: how much room do you have behind your tank where you want to drill it ? You must have enough room for the drill with the head on it.
2nd: Plan on how low you want to drill it from the top. ( you can solve any problems that may occur with PVC fittings ) but you want the water inlet to be able to catch air and stop syphoning before your sump overflows.
3rd: decide what size bulkhead and piping you are going to use so that you know what size return pumps you'll need to move the water.
4th: keep it wet while drilling and be ready to stop before the shavings enter your tank.
I haven't drilled my tank but have drilled tanks together for sump / refugium combinations. I have absolutely no skills in fixing or repairing things so I was real concerned about doing it myself. I was shocked at how easy it is though. I say go for it if you comfortably know the answers to the above questions.