Male Blue Jaw help

Dflo

got a male blue jaw trigger in qt now for a little over a week. I have not seen him eat anything no matter what I've tried. Tried frozen brine, krill and mysis. Also tried some flakes and garlic flavored pellets and last couple times tried live ghost shrimp, rosey Reds and frozen silverside and nothing. When got up this morning he is at top of tank staying in same spot. Haven't seen any signs of ich. Water params are ph 8.2 ammonia nitrate and nitrites all at 0. Not sure what else to try

Bryce E

Wow that's tough. A week is a long time especially with the variety of foods that you have offered it. And the Blue throat is pretty hardy and usually easy to get feeding. Especially with frozen food like mysis. Did you get the opportunity to see him eat before you got him? Causes for not eating can range from newly caught fish not accepting a new diet to the fish simply being stressed or the most common the fish is sick. Not likely it's from stress due to how long you've had it. How big is he? And I know you tried garlic pellets but you may want to try fresh garlic or garlic extreme soaked on the mysis. New fish can be tough not knowing their journey and where they came from hence the need for quarantine in the first place.

Dflo

He was ordered for me to go with my female and wanted around 3.5-4" but he came in almost 6". Didn't see him eat but lfs owner was in process of feeding tanks and already passed his and no food of was in there. He feed them ghost shrimp that morning

Bryce E

Yeah at 6 inches he should not be a very finicky eater. I'd be concerned somethings wrong with him. A fish that large is going to be pretty hardy and won't be starving to death without food too quickly. Just watch him for other signs of illness and continue trying too feed him every day but have a game plan for the uneaten food because you can destroy your water quality pretty quickly if you don't remove the uneaten portions. And If he was being fed live food then continue to try that as well. That sucks I hope he makes it. Good luck.

Dflo

Yeah I'm just puzzled. He's just hanging at top of tank kinda acting like he isn't breathing great. Noticed the yellow trim on his fins is looking rough too

trigger40

well it sounds like you have a trigger that is suffering from a very common mistake. it was not given enough food and and not enough variety and the trigger developed an infection that it will most likely not survive. i can offer help but it too late IMO. if it servives that is one lucky trigger.

Dflo

Well unfortunately he did not make it. Eyes were cloudy this morning and when got home this evening he was laying at the bottom. Really wish knew what happened to him

trigger40

it was a beacterial infection trigger fish get when they are un healthy. when the conditions are first sighted you must be quick to use anti-biotics.