Male/Female True Perc Behavior Questions...

robdog696

I have a True percula and a LTA that he is hosting. I purchased a mated pair of true percs. The female did not survive. She developed clownfish disease, and I wiped out all my corals trying to treat her. Regrettably, she died anyways. So I've had this male true perc hosting my- well his- LTA for about a year now. Today I purchased a tiny true perc in hopes of re-establishing a mated pair. The lfs told me "the smaller will change his --- to whatever is needed". A lot of what I have read is contrary to what he said, but I decided to try it. They have a very large true perc that I can exchange the small one for if needed. Getting to the point, when I added the small true perc he went straight for my anemone. As owner of this territory, the larger true perc said, "There will be blood!" He attacked the small one. Then he said, "Oh wait, maybe it's a chick," and he started doing the I wanna hump you dance. The small one did the same thing (shaking his whole body as if having a seizure). As soon as the larger one saw this he said, "Whoa dude, I'm not gay," and he attacked the small one repeatedly. I removed the small true perc. Does it appear I have interpreted this behavior correctly? Does this mean they are both males? Do you think then, that I would have a better chance of creating a mated pair by trading my lfs the tiny true perc for the one that is much larger than the one I have now? Or should I just let the one I have now beat the crap out of the tiny one till he bends over? LOL! Thanks for any advice or personal experiences you have to share!

brad pitt

lol very funny story

um if i was u i would take the one that was beating the smaller one out and let the two that where doing there dance thing to mate up.

but its up 2 u.

robdog696

There are only two. The larger did the dance thing. Then the smaller did it. As soon as he did it the larger attacked him. I think only the males do the dance. I'm not sure.

robdog696

All is well in clownfish land. I exchanged the tiny true perc for a large one! When I put it in the tank it did not immediately go for the anemone. In my brief experience with clownfish I think this is a sign that the fish is a female. The only two true percs I have had that did not make a B line for my anemone have turned out to be females. Anyways, after she showed no interest in my little guy for about ten minutes he left the anemone and has been stalking her every since. Yay, now get with the making babies!