Male or Female Bellus Angel??

9supratt4

I have seen mostly Female Bellus Angels for sale. Is there a difference?? Do I want a male or female??

pbnj

The females, with their blue coloring, are much prettier and yes there's a big difference. You can do a search for pictures of both.

Beautiful fish, the male tends to be a yellow/silver and the female blue/black/silver,very long streamers as well, they are diomorphic and can change from female to male, supposedly reef safe/compatible being a planktivore...getting mine in a month...after a very long wait..one thing to be watchfull of, they are a deep water angel and if brought up from the depth to quickly they can experience swim bladder issues,
HTH

9supratt4

Originally Posted by halcyon_diver
http:///forum/post/2984947
Beautiful fish, the male tends to be a yellow/silver and the female blue/black/silver,very long streamers as well, they are diomorphic and can change from female to male, supposedly reef safe/compatible being a planktivore...getting mine in a month...after a very long wait..one thing to be watchfull of, they are a deep water angel and if brought up from the depth to quickly they can experience swim bladder issues,
HTH
That's great info!! Thanks!!
Anyone know how these fish breed in captivity, if at all??

spiderwoman

Hehe yes, I have a pair of Bellus Angels. Had the female first and then 6 months later I bought her a mate.
Let's see if I can find my photos of them both.
Here is the female

Bad picture of the male. His streamers are now about inch longer

They are so much fun to watch. They move around the whole tank and really seem to enjoy swimming in front of the Tunze streams. They eat everything I put in the tank and are quite the pigs :)