malu Anemone

leereef

Hi i'm new to anemones but my malu is a few days old in my tank it moved around a little then seems to have settled and perked up today. then it expelled a light brown string of mess i have read that its trying to adjust to my lighting as its much stronger than the shop i got it from.also it not looking as happy as it did before mouth open (bad sign) any advice would be good thanks

tank is 40 uk gallons 180 liters
7 months old

Parmeters are nitrite-0 nitrate-0 ammonia .0 PH 8.8 KH 6 Phos 1.0 this is high and will be sorted on next water change hopefully would of done one but trying to give malu as little stress as i can....
salinty is 1:027
PH and KH was tested yesterday and have added a ALKALINTY SUPPLEMENT TO BRING THESE BACK TO DESIRED LEVELS Kh low as Ro water used

regards lee

2 hrs after writing this i fed said anemone as i was feeding fish, he grabbed brine shrimp. And i have read that an open mouth means hungry..
he has eaten half a prawn so far all good.. HIS PLATE is still looking deflated and he has not attached any where would he move after lights out or why lights are on ???

tthemadd1

Let it be. It takes time for the animal to settle in. If in a week or two there are still issues then it would be time to worry. Temp lighting and water quality must all be constant. What type of lights are you using?

leereef

2 x 45w T5 with reflectors. i am aware these may not be up to the job. looking in to led. do these animals need moonlight ??

thanks for your reply :)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leereef http:///t/397578/malu-anemone#post_3543980
2 x 45w T5 with reflectors. i am aware these may not be up to the job. looking in to led. do these animals need moonlight ??

thanks for your reply :)

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

They do not require a moonlight, those are just so you can see your critters at night, the little creepy things come out at night, as well as shrimp and serpent stars. Anemones need powerful lights, and really pristine water quality (that's why we don't recommend getting one for 6 months to a year after setting up). They do travel around the tank, and even after settling in, they can up and move at any time... so cover all intake tubes and power heads. They follow the water flow and often get sucked up, killing everything in the tank as they die.

leereef

hi and thanks for the welcome :)

yes powerheads are covered with tights :) was not sure what else to use :) seemed the best thing at the time :0

well did a water change yesterday and Parmeters are

nitrite-0 nitrate-0 ammonia 0 PH 8.4 KH 8 salinty is 1:025 temp 26c 77f calcuim 400 phosphate 0.25 will get this to 0 one of these days lol

leereef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthemadd1 http:///t/397578/malu-anemone#post_3544020
We all want the LEDs. LOL. Is it perking up yet?
yes we do may have to wait on them looking at the price lol

It seemed to and last night it seemed to do a lot of moving about.. Was watching under a red light
and this morning its shrunk to a flat tea plate size..

He has perked up a little more since lights on this morning this morning 2 hrs before this photo was taken his plate was was next to his body and he looked flat
finger crossed he picks up by the end of the day at least 50%

tthemadd1

Interesting. Is there a clown with this anemone? It could be the lights. It could also be the animal and the environment it was in at the store. Still I say time is your friend. If it lived this long in your tank I would say it is fine just adjusting. Once it finds the right location it will be fine.

leereef

Yes there is a pair of Percula Clownfish 3 turbo snails and 3 red leg hermits

he has perked up 100% now see photo
i think it must be a lady :) as its trying to wind me up :) lol

leereef

so just before lights out photo above wedged between two rock thought just maybe she had found a place..

now this was three hours after lights off moved and shrunk and expelling what ever that is in middle, Is it expelling left over food or is this poor critter IN LOTS OF STRESS
any advice would be much apprecited if its suffering then i may take to shop coz i hate Cruelty and i do not wish to keep upsetting this poor creature

cheers lee

tthemadd1

Time. Just time. If it perked up then it may just be its nature. At night they will shrink down. They also expel waste through the skin surface. Think of it like breathing. Give it more time and don't hand feed it for a day or two.