Mamasky712's 90g tank diary

mamasky712

So, I thought it would be neat to have this to look back on and remember how much work it was to get it started :)
90g AGA tank and stand, Nova Extreme 432w T-5's, coralife super skimmer, 3 maxi jet 1200's hooked up to a wavemaker, and 2 emperor 400 filters. No sump until our kids are older and out of the "chucking things into water" stage. We still need to get a background of some sort so excuse the distracting filters and cords.
Getting the tank set up:

My hubby putting the first bucket of water in the tank. This took soooo long to do because we used water from our RO unit on our sink. The unit only holds 5 gallons at a time and takes about 30minutes to refill.

Our skimmer:

After putting 100lbs. of sand in:

And now our 100lbs. of live rock is in there curing:

-Lindsey

azaghalsei

Yea, it was about 3 weeks before we added sand, and another week for the 90 + 7 pounds of live rock...
...so in about 3 more weeks we will transfer the rock from our existing tank to get us up to about 115lbs of LR and 100lbs of LS.
Some day there WILL be fish. :)
Hi wife!

Ian

teamsleep

I pretty much have the same set up as you except I have a 45 gallon and no skimmer but the 2 400's seem to do really well with flow along with the powerheads I have. Goodluck and keep all of us posted on your progress. Are you going to run the carbon filter bags? If I were you I wouldnt keep the biowheel in them becuase one thing I noticed is they create alot of microbubbles in the tank and your nitrates over time will increase.

mamasky712

Originally Posted by WangoTango
looks cool. are you going to add a background?
-Justin
Yep, we're planning on adding either a black or dark blue background.

mamasky712

Originally Posted by teamsleep
I pretty much have the same set up as you except I have a 45 gallon and no skimmer but the 2 400's seem to do really well with flow along with the powerheads I have. Goodluck and keep all of us posted on your progress. Are you going to run the carbon filter bags? If I were you I wouldnt keep the biowheel in them becuase one thing I noticed is they create alot of microbubbles in the tank and your nitrates over time will increase.
We have the filters running right now with the carbon. We have the bio wheels in also but I'll make sure that we keep an eye on the nitrates.
Our flow seems to be great right now between the 3 powerheads, filters, and the skimmer.
We also ordered 24 pounds of tonga so that should be here today. Once we transfer the rock in our nano, we'll have about 135 pounds of LR in the tank!

azaghalsei

Originally Posted by mamasky712
We have the filters running right now with the carbon. We have the bio wheels in also but I'll make sure that we keep an eye on the nitrates.
Our flow seems to be great right now between the 3 powerheads, filters, and the skimmer.
We also ordered 24 pounds of tonga so that should be here today. Once we transfer the rock in our nano, we'll have about 135 pounds of LR in the tank!
Und here is the tank with 121lbs of Fiji (mostly), Hawaiian, and Tonga LR! :joy:
-Ian

azaghalsei

Well, we broke down our 12, I arranged all of the rock, and we even picked up some new friends!

I think mamasky712 will post some of the pics today!
If not I might locate some this week. She is better @ pictures than me.
-Ian

mamasky712

So, here's some new pics. We made the move from the 12g to the 90 and everything made it and is doing great :)
Full tank shot:

Mushroom area:

Pod heaven!

I think these are zoos:

Yellow polyps:

Pulsating xenias:

Green star polyps:

Finger leather:

Sold to us as an assorted leather(this one had actually split into 2 and the guy gave us a discountand only charged us half price so we ended up getting 2 frags):

Another "assorted leather"

mamasky712

Originally Posted by fish addict
Those are some pretty corals! I like the mushroom rock, all those different types make it look really cool!
Thank you! We walked into one of our LFS and we saw that labeled as a "homemade mushroom rock" and we HAD to buy it. Probably the best $60 we've spent in the tank :)

fish addict

$60 is a lot but I think it was worth it too, maybe I could just start making my own. Ya know, get a bunch of different mushrooms and frag some and stick 'em on rocks. I bet I could make a pretty penny doing that!

azaghalsei

Thanks guys!! It has been a lot of hard work... Sadly I am the only one tall enough (read: with arms long enough) to arrange the corals/rock and spot feed everyone. Luckily mamasky712 has a great eye and helps me decide what looks best... and she has executive vertebrate decision authority :hilarious ... although I seemed to be spoiled on the invertebrate front.

We're planning to do monthly additions and we're both very eager!

Ian